Deciding on a Compressor pedal

danfr

• Members

I'm thinking of getting a compressor for my guitar. I like the idea of having a little extra sustain for some of the solos and songs that I play. I am in no way an effects player, I have a Dunlop cry baby that I sometimes use (maybe once or twice in a jam), otherwise I play straight. My current setup is gibson les paul > dunlop cry baby > fender hot rod deville 4x10. I crank the clean channel to get a real tube distortion. The styles I play are blues, classic rock, a little jazz and funk, and some alternative rock (pearl jam). I'm big into the jam bands too like allman bros. grateful dead, phish, ect. I've heard some great reviews for the Ross Compressor but I don't want to spend a fortune. If anyone could suggest some pedals I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• Members

you might want to look into the barber tone press, lots of people raving over them and at about $115 used can't beat it with a stick :)

for a cheapy the dod fx84 milk box may just do the trick...about $40 :thu:

• Members

I just picked up a Barber tone press, and it is really good. Can get the squashy comp as well as a sustaining note that seems to go on forever. It is not a "jangly" comp. It does take off some of the high end. There is also not a huge amount of boost available with this pedal. I also listened to a Diamond comp pedal. It was a bit more money, but it had a nice EQ knob to dial back in the highs if you wanted it. It would also offer a bit more boost I think.

BTW, both these pedals are almost dead silent when on. No noticeable hiss. I have been using the comp side of my Visual sound route 66 pedal, and that thing sounds like a hissing rattlesnake compared to the other two. I do like the sound of the route 66 comp, just a bit too noisy for me.

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

bjf pale green. By far the most transparent Ive used.

I agree, this one's a totally different flavour than the Ross clones and offers a much more natural feeling effect.

• Members

My MIJ Boss Cs-3 that I bought used for about $40 does a decent job. Not alot of squash and color but it does add a "just right" amount of comp to my set-up. Lately I have been having it on with the level set a bit lower from overall volume level. That way I can switch it off for a lead tone that "jumps out" so to speak. Kind of like a reverse boost.

• Members

Originally posted by AmitSadras

Dyna Comp will do the work!

very natural! very smooth and good tone.

try it...

you wont regret it

Natural??? Dude are you on drugs? There is massive note strangulation with a dynacomp. Try a Diamond. Now that's natural sounding.

Archived