Cheaper alternative to Hermida Zendrive

• Members

Is there any other pedal that does the Dumble/ Robben Ford thing that the Zendrive does. I love that pedal, but it is a bit pricey. I might just have to shell out the money, but if any of you have any DIY or cheaper alternatives, let me know.

• Members

It's a pretty unique sounding pedal, and other 'Dumble-style' ODs like the HAO Rumble Mod are actually more expensive than the Hermida.

I used to own a Mosferatu, which is a close cousin to the Zen - with more gain and compression. I sold the Mos after getting a MI Audio Blue Boy. With a .50 cent chip swap (an LM833), I got very similar tones to the Mosferatu - but more with less compression and darkness. At milder OD settings, I think the Blue Boy can sound pretty Zen like. I picked mine up for $100...

However - if it's true Dumble/Ford tones you're after, I'd save your money and get a Zen. Robben uses one in place of his Dumble when he uses other amps. If that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

It's a pretty unique sounding pedal, and other 'Dumble-style' ODs like the HAO Rumble Mod are actually more expensive than the Hermida.

I used to own a Mosferatu, which is a close cousin to the Zen - with more gain and compression. I sold the Mos after getting a MI Audio Blue Boy. With a .50 cent chip swap (an LM833), I got very similar tones to the Mosferatu - but more with less compression and darkness. At milder OD settings, I think the Blue Boy can sound pretty Zen like. I picked mine up for $100...

However - if it's true Dumble/Ford tones you're after, I'd save your money and get a Zen. Robben uses one in place of his Dumble when he uses other amps. If that isn't a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is!

Well it's nice to know if I have to spend the extra bucks, I have the faith of Robben Ford behind my decision!

Archived