Tremol-No Has Arrived!

Arjae

• Members

I would like to know how it works in the setting where it blocks it from raising the pitch, but you can still lower the pitch if you want. I have this charvel model 3A homocaster that I may want to get one for. It has a kahler system which isn't the greatest.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I would like to know how it works in the setting where it blocks it from raising the pitch, but you can still lower the pitch if you want. I have this charvel model 3A homocaster that I may want to get one for. It has a kahler system which isn't the greatest.

I just let out a huge donkey laugh @ "homocaster". Well done.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

There is a great video demo on their site:

Thanks for the Demo link. I checked over at All-Parts site and they have them for $65. Hmmm...I wonder how the Tremol effects overall feel when in full floating. The demo guitar was set up with three springs. I use all 5 on my RG770. Having 3 might be a nice change.

• Members

Originally posted by sense_of_henry

Looks cool, I like how it stays in tune with broken strings.

The demo-tone sounds terrible though...I hope that he doesn't use that tone.

The tone didnt bother me though I did mutter to myself about wanting to hear the demo "straight-up" without delay effect.

• Members
Originally posted by Arjae

www.tremol-no.com

Here goes nothing. Gonna drop it in a see how it does! More to come later........
:wave:

So... How is it? What are those little pieces of metal in the baggy?

Danhops should be getting one this week too so we can compare it with the Kahler Spyder Auto-Latch. Wish there was a Wilkinson convertible around to try.

• Members
Originally posted by hoerni

So... How is it? What are those little pieces of metal in the baggy?

Danhops should be getting one this week too so we can compare it with the Kahler Spyder Auto-Latch. Wish there was a Wilkinson convertible around to try.

I didn't get to install it last night. :( My g/f came home and I ended up having to do stuff around the house (i.e. help cook, clean, etc.) I should have some free time tonight to drop it in. I am still on the fence as to whether I am going to make my strat or my Ibanez the test animal. I hardly ever play the Ibanez these days as I favor the strat. The strat's bridge I have had locked down with five springs for the longest time now. So most likely, I am going to put it in there, change it to three springs and have the ability to lock it out with the TN or be able to use the bar again on it.

• Members

Oh and the little metal pieces are spacers. They go under the part that clamps to the block so that you can get the angle right from the claw to the block. The rest of the parts in there are spare screws as well as a ring that the grounding wire attaches to for when you screw the wire to the TN.

• Members
Originally posted by Last Nerve

Drop her in yet, Arjae?

And what guitar did you decide on?

Gonna do so in about 20 minutes! I think it is going in the strat. I dunno though....... maybe I will just retro-fit the strat with a Kahler. ;)

:D

• Members
Originally posted by Arjae

Gonna do so in about 20 minutes! I think it is going in the strat. I dunno though....... maybe I will just retro-fit the strat with a Kahler.
;)

:D

You laugh, but I just saw one of those new Korean Ash Strats with a gold Kahler on it. The guitar's only been out a couple of years so it was definitely done recently. Decent price on it too; it wasn't there the next week.

BTW, I got the joke, but the Ibanez would be a better candidate. I'm pretty sure the Auto-latch block would screw onto a floyd without modification. (not 100% though) Either way, the Spyder isn't what you would typically call a "Kahler". Althoough it manufactured by them, it's a modification of the Floyd style.

auto latch link

Still looking forward to hearing your opinion (and checking out danhops' in person)

• Members

Well, I installed it in my strat. All in all, it took about a half hour for the whole thing including tweaking it and all. I'll give all my thoughts on it tomorrow morning. Sorry I didn't tonight but I was actually enjoying playing around with it. I'll say this, the claim about adding sustain is no joke. Quite a noticeable difference. More tomorrow.............

treminstall.JPG

• Members

OK. So, I'll go through this in some detail so you can get a feel for it. I marked off where the edge of the original claw was, loosened the strings, popped out the tremolo springs, snipped off the ground wire at the claw (didn't have a soldering iron handy, will do it properly later), and removed the claw. Screwed in the Tremol-No (TN) claw and lined up the edge where the tape was. Popped the springs back in and tuned the guitar. Slid the other part of the TN on, clamped it down to the block, tightened the set screws on the claw and began adjusting. You need to adjust the spring tension to get the TN to slide with no resistance or feel. It is an easy adjustment and does not require a lot of turning of the claw screws. The last thing was to attach the ground wire to the claw via the set screw. I did not have to use any of the metal spacers. Those are only needed if the clamp sits too low to the wood inside the cavity. The other spare parts you see in the bag are just that, spare parts in case you lose a set screw or something. This is nice to have them in case of loss.

Let's look at the cons first.........

Cons:
Instructions could be greatly enhanced with some pictures and be of a bit more detail. Installing this thing is far from rocket science but the instructions have some parts to them which are a bit vague. For instance, tightening the set screws to check the change in tuning and then loosening them before continuing on with clamping to the block. The instruction video is still not available on the web site.

To attach the grounding wire, it states to crimp on the grounding ring and then attach that to the set screw. Well, there is no grounding ring in the package. Not a big deal, I just wrapped the wire around the screw nicely and snugged it down.

The piece that clamps to the block is big enough that it needs to be centered perfectly between the two string holes or else you are not going to be able to change strings with it attached. This poses a problem in my guitar since to get the TN running in a perfectly straight line, it required me to have to slightly snug up the claw screw on the low side. You can see this in the pic above. You will notice the line that the TN is travelling on from the claw to the block. To get things perfectly lined up and straight would require the D string hole to be covered by the clamp. So it definitely takes some tweaking of all parts to get it to line up and function right.

The trem block on my strat is a bit thicker than the one on my Edge trem. The clamp could be a little beefier to allow for these thicker blocks. I am sure it won't be an issue as it all feels solid but it gives me a little concern.

And now the pros........

Pros:
There is a very noticeable increase in sustain and tone when it is locked out. You can actually feel the difference as well as hear it. I was quite shocked by this. You now have a solid connected piece of metal from the strings all the way to the set screws. I previously had my trem locked down via five springs but with the TN, my bridge is stable and locked and has better feel and sound.

Literally takes two seconds to change from locked to unlocked and back.

No tuning issues whatsoever aside from the inherent problems associated with using a bar on a strat. Tune the guitar when it is unlocked and then check the tuning after locking it and there is no change whatsoever. I was apprehensive that the tuning would go out a bit after tightening the thumb screws but this is not the case at all.

Overall assessment:
Overall, I am very happy that I put this on my strat. I installed it late last night and was impressed with the ease of install (aside from the few things I mentioned in the cons). I am going to spend some more time tonight tweaking it to get the claw to line up a little better. I love the increased sustain and feel. It is nice to be able to lock out the bridge or be able to use the bar again for some vibrato stuff. And best of all, if I decide I don't want it in there, it is a quick switch to go back. The only real inconvenience is to have to solder the ground wire back to the original claw. I will no doubt be ordering another one today to put on my Ibanez. After seeing what this did to my strat, I am confident that this will make me want to start playing my Ibanez all over again since it just hangs on the wall these days. I think the price of $65 is very fair for this product given that considerable R&D went into making it and it is in fact crafted of very high quality material. I am not going to say that I'd pay more than $65 for it, but all products have to hit a price point for the designer to break even and make some profit. As long as the product delivers, I don't mind spending the money. And in this case, the TN really delivers what it says it does.

Archived