What's the Point in Running Stereo??

• Members

I find that stereo effects can be really great for recordings, but tend to get washed out and 'lost' on stage. The more stereo and spread out you are, the thinner and more easily washed out the sound. I love stereo effects, but I have never really seen it work all that well on stage.

• Members

Originally posted by st. fermin

I find that stereo effects can be really great for recordings, but tend to get washed out and 'lost' on stage. The more stereo and spread out you are, the thinner and more easily washed out the sound. I love stereo effects, but I have never really seen it work all that well on stage.

Quoted for trut, especially as a lot of people never go down the back of the hall to hear what stuff sounds like being played a ways away.

• Members

stereo effects are good for two things.. (imho) playing with your self, and recording.

Recording is actually a bit of a pain in the ass to do in recording, and often its easier to add the effect after tracking.

I had an old stereo digital delay back in the early 90's... i loved it, but a stereo rig at a jam or rehearsal just doesnt have the same effect when both amps are sitting next to each other behind you.

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

stereo effects are good for two things.. (imho) playing with your self, and recording.

Recording is actually a bit of a pain in the ass to do in recording, and often its easier to add the effect after tracking.

I had an old stereo digital delay back in the early 90's... i loved it, but a stereo rig at a jam or rehearsal just doesnt have the same effect when both amps are sitting next to each other behind you.

They can be stunning live.

• Members

I always run a stereo rig. I tried it once in rehearsal a few years ago and the guy's in my band said, "you got to do that all the time, man". Now it's become addictive. I have a big pedalboard with a bunch of good dirt boxes and few other things and they all end up in an old Boss GT-3. I use ping-pong delays, split octaves, stereo chorus' along with modulations and stuff I do with the expression pedal. With two Mesa amps, my sound is gigantic. Now running a mono rig to me is like listen to a stereo with one of the speakers unplugged.

Don't mean to brag, but you really ought to try it. You don't need fancy amps, and they don't have to be matched, in fact I like the two amps to have a different charater from each other. It gives me a wider tone and make the stereo effects more noticable.

• Members

orouke, do you justby-pass the effects in the GT, when you don't want any colouring from it?

I have a marshall 9100 dual mono block amp, that I want to run to two cabs, via either my JMP-1, or tech 21 pre amps. i was thinking at first of getting something like a G-Major for effects, but I just know my patience for fiddling with a multi is questionable at best. So I thought "oh hell, I'll stick with better stomp boxes instead"

I would still like to keep my stereo rig when all is said and done though, so I am left wondering do I need to have a stereo unit between the pres and the power amp running all the time ( I have a Boss GX-700, that could do that) with the effects by passed on the unit, and run the pedals through either the loops on the pre's or the boss unit?

• Members

STEREO IS ONLY GOOD FOR PEOPLE WITH MORE THAN ONE EAR.
OTHERWISE, IT IS A USELESS PHENOMENON.
PINK FLOYD TRIED TO GET PEOPLE HIP TO STEREO PLUS REAR SPEAKERS (SURROUND SOUND) ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO.
I'M GUESSING THAT THEY THOUGHT "DUH, IT'S A NO BRAINER!
IN OTHER WORDS, I KNOW THAT IT COSTS MORE $$$, BUT MOST BANDS DON'T SEEM TO REALIZE THAT STEREO IS SO IMPORTANT.
GET 2 AMPS THAT ARE THE SAME, OR BETTER YET, GET A PREAMP, POWER AMP, AND TWO P.A. SPEAKERS, LIKE EV'S WITH A 12 OR 15 INCH AND A HORN. I THINK JBL'S ARE TOO WARM FOR A GUITAR.

• Members

I normally play stereo with two a bit different sounding amps, and the sound is huge. I sold my Pro Reverb this week, and I'm waiting on a 412 Avatar now, and I'm looking for a Sovtek.
On the rehearsal yesterday, my guitar was much quieter with the one amp on the same level as the week before.

Jan

• Members

ive always wanted to try setting up a stereo rig

However i have a question

What IF someone did this..you have 2 guitarists...both running half stacks, both cabs capable to do stereo (both have L R/Mono IN)

So Head 1 goes to Cab 1 L and Cab 2 R
Head 2 goes to Cab 1 R and Cab 2 L

Your sound would be split nicely, especially if where your playing doesnt mic you up to a PA

just a thought i had while listening to fear factory thinking..damn this would be cool if i had a pair of half stacks to my disposal.

• Members

Originally posted by Cowinacape

orouke, do you justby-pass the effects in the GT, when you don't want any colouring from it?

I have a marshall 9100 dual mono block amp, that I want to run to two cabs, via either my JMP-1, or tech 21 pre amps. i was thinking at first of getting something like a G-Major for effects, but I just know my patience for fiddling with a multi is questionable at best. So I thought "oh hell, I'll stick with better stomp boxes instead"

I would still like to keep my stereo rig when all is said and done though, so I am left wondering do I need to have a stereo unit between the pres and the power amp running all the time ( I have a Boss GX-700, that could do that) with the effects by passed on the unit, and run the pedals through either the loops on the pre's or the boss unit?

I have one patch that I start with that has no effects, I usually build most of my patches from that one. I use the GT-3 pretty much like any stomp box, because I use it for a lot of time based effects it's at the end of my effects chain. I don't use the amps effects loops, I don't use the internal OD/Dist loop, I don't use the pre-amp, or the amps overdrives or distortions (they're just not good enough), and I don't use the GT-3 wah (it's mediocre).

I do use the pitch shift to get a whammy effect. The latency is pretty bad on that, but I've learned to deal with it.

But with all the negatives, the GT-3 is still an amazing unit for someone like me who likes to assign a number of perameters to the expression pedal. I do a lot of stuff like; Have the ping-pong delay effect level set at 15 for most of the song (it goes 1 to 100). Then rock the expressio pedal forward to 45 for the solo. Or I can have the expression pedal set for a totally flat clean sound and then rock it forward and have it whammy up an octave while it also fades in a bunch of stereo delay and reverb, and then rock it back and it swoops back down to the flat normal octave. These tricks work really well in a smallish clubs that I play, it really takes the crowd on a trip.

Does the GT-3 effect my basic tone? Sure it does, but with a good guitar with good pickups and two great sounding amps, the charater of my tone still come through.

Originally posted by st. fermin

A person just has to know how to use the stereo effects. I don't really have any trouble sounding washed out. But I don't alway's run the effects in stereo, sometimes during the set it's just me comming out of two amps, I'm not constantly going through a stereo chorse for example. But when I hit some modulation or delay, man you know the effect is there.

• Members

Stereo can be good for splitting off your signal chain.

If your amp has two inputs and you want to run some effects in parallel, then you might want to try stereo. For example, maybe you have a Boss DD-3 and you want modulated delays...you could send the wet output through chorus or vibrato before going into a second amp input.

Or for doing shimmer effects (parallel pitch-shifted delays run through very wet reverb). You want a clean signal going in, and you don't want the shimmery side of things to be effected by the other things in your chain.

But that's not so much stereo as parallel.

Archived