Weezer's "In My Garage"

• Members

Originally posted by THeLoveGun

rivers never used muffs. its all guitar direct to his mesa tube. oh well.

well...i am a devoted fan of the first two weezer albums and i'm starting to doubt this. on this board i've stated many times that he played a Mesa Mark I. I believed this for a long time.

But on the DVD you can clearly see Rivers playing through a Marshall amp during the recording of the Blue Album. Even though it has been stated that the Mesa was the only amp used on that album.

and it is an accepted notion that Pinkerton's crunch was a big muff through a Marshall. So I say....it could be possible the same setup was used for both albums.

Weezer conspiracy theory.:D

• Members

Originally posted by aeonrevolution

So say, with my newfound bass, I want to attempt this tone. Should I just run the bass into a SD-1 or the Bad Monkey then into a Big Muff?

Because I've tried just going straight to a muff and the sound is nowhere near as articulate as on this song.

i say just crank up the volume.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

well...i am a devoted fan of the first two weezer albums and i'm starting to doubt this. on this board i've stated many times that he played a Mesa Mark I. I believed this for a long time.

But on the DVD you can clearly see Rivers playing through a Marshall amp during the recording of the Blue Album. Even though it has been stated that the Mesa was the only amp used on that album.

and it is an accepted notion that Pinkerton's crunch was a big muff through a Marshall. So I say....it could be possible the same setup was used for both albums.

Weezer conspiracy theory.
:D

I can't see the Blue album being a Mesa Mark I. It sounds very JCM800 to me. Maybe I'm on crack though. I'm confused yo.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i don't believe it.

there may be a tremolo at the end of the sweater song.

You may be right about that. And I definitely hear trem right before the breakdown in Surfwax America.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

i have heard that the guitar on that album was recorded through a jcm900slx

This makes sense to me.

I know the JCM900 is much maligned compared to the JCM800, but some of my favorite guitar tones have come from them. For example, Joey Santiago's work with the Pixies. Nice.

taco

• Members

Check out the MXR Bass Blowtorch... the clip of that badboy has me swimming... has a blend knob... and mid emphasis shift switch.

I have a Dirty Boy Cannibal Boy that sounds awesome with my 5-string.

Chunk Systems also makes a gated bass fuzz called the Brown Dog that does some really awesome tones... super flexible too.

If I didn't have active electronics though... I'm positive the Wooly Mammoth would be the way to go for huge fuzzed out tones.

-TJK

• Members

Originally posted by TaronKeim

If I didn't have active electronics though... I'm positive the Wooly Mammoth would be the way to go for huge fuzzed out tones.

-TJK

That's the one I'm favoring. I think it would be great with guitar or bass.

taco

Archived