Fuzz for Eric Johnson leads

• Members

I know Eric uses a Fuzz face (held together with rubber bands, no less!) but what is a pedal that would get me that type of lead tone? I had a 'flashback fuzz' and it was a total POS. Played through a reissue fuzz face at a local musicgoround and it sucked pretty badly too - no sustain, just sounded super harsh.

Any ideas?

Pete

slow convert to the pedal lifestyle

• Members

You need to lean the aforementioned rubber-banded Fuzz Face against a small block of 3/4" plywood at a 45 degree angle. Not 1/2" plywood, nor a 50 degree angle. The plywood must be unfinished. Spraypaint degrades tone.

All jackassery aside, I have no idea. Maybe a Muff with the gain down quite a bit?

• Members

I really think Eric *can* hear all this stuff, and it sounds more like a curse to me than anything.

What I'm using:

A JSX occasionally with a bad monkey in the 2nd channel! Seriously. :) I had no idea Eric used a fuzz for rhythm, because the fuzzes that I've played were sputtery and pretty much craptacular for rhythm tones. I may build or buy a few fuzzes just for the heck of it.

Guitarwise - when my band does EJ covers, I play either a mid 90s Charvel USA strat with Dimarzio and duncan pickups, a Les Paul Studio w/Duncan 59s, or a '91 PRS CU24 with HFS in the bridge and an old van zandt pickup in the neck.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

I really think Eric *can* hear all this stuff, and it sounds more like a curse to me than anything.

What I'm using:

A JSX occasionally with a bad monkey in the 2nd channel! Seriously.
:)
I had no idea Eric used a fuzz for rhythm, because the fuzzes that I've played were sputtery and pretty much craptacular for rhythm tones. I may build or buy a few fuzzes just for the heck of it.

Guitarwise - when my band does EJ covers, I play either a mid 90s Charvel USA strat with Dimarzio and duncan pickups, a Les Paul Studio w/Duncan 59s, or a '91 PRS CU24 with HFS in the bridge and an old van zandt pickup in the neck.

Pete

i think he just has obsessive compulsive disorder.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

What I'm using:

A JSX occasionally with a bad monkey in the 2nd channel! Seriously.
:)
I had no idea Eric used a fuzz for rhythm, because the fuzzes that I've played were sputtery and pretty much craptacular for rhythm tones. I may build or buy a few fuzzes just for the heck of it.

Pete

wow dejavu

I hear the fuzz in his rythm parts like zap (G3) that goes back and forth between lead and fuzz. First time fuzz is on in that song is at about 00.08. check it out

I also get lovely tones feeding a silicon fuzz into get bad monkey slight overdrive, into channel 1.

Otherwise my silicon fuzz is too trebbly to get his rythms, but falls in the ballpark. I am getting a germaniun fuzz next week, see if that does the trick. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by fusionid

wow dejavu

I hear the fuzz in his rythm parts like zap (G3) that goes back and forth between lead and fuzz.

I also get lovely tones feeding a silicon fuzz into get bad monkey slight overdrive, into channel 1.

Otherwise my silicon fuzz is too trebbly to get his rythms. I am getting a germaniun fuzz next week, see if that does the trick.

Keep us posted, and thanks for posting the EJ info. Very cool stuff.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

The two germanuim type boxes I use are the Keeley Fuzz Head which is really more a distortion with a germ flavor and stack it with his Fuzz Freak BD-2 with germ caps.... here's EJ in Tulsa!

EJ1.jpg

What year was that? I was likely there... seen Eric several times at Cains, except for last time at the Blues Festival... I had a gig that night, and was really tempted to blow it off and see Eric instead.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

Last year at the Blues fest...I missed last weekend...

I was gigging both times... but hey, I did get to see EJ at the Granada in Dallas - jan 2005. Saw him at Cains in '89 (or was it '90?) and '95. I think his tone was best on the early '90ish show I saw though.

Pete

• Members

id say go for the seymour duncan twin tube classic .. or any pedal that has a pre amp tube should be able to get u really close to that singing lead tone

and about the crazy eric johnson stuff... i totally know where hes comin from its just that im not smart enough to locate where the problems come from... !!! this guy can do all his own amp and guitar work which is more then i can say...

there have been times when ive been playing and i use the same settings and its been in the same room its just i have something plugged in different or using a dif cable or it could be anything except i just leave it and try to continue.. obviously eric likes to get to the bottom of this stuff which i respect just because he can!.... but even more important than his tone is the fact he can PLAY!!!

• Members

Since different dirt boxes of the same model tend to sound unique. Let us remember Eric has hand picked his Fuzz Face from many others. So when buying any dirt box try another one to find your favorite. With Internet dealers this means they should play at least two of them over the phone for you before you buy one.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by alteredsounds

Anyone else agree that aside for Cliffs of Dover and a handfull of others that most of his material is pretty damn dull. I have all the albums because of the guitar side def not because of the songwriting.

Sure! He's too old school and not very innovative.

Archived