FX that don't cut it on stage

• Members

Ever buy an effect that sounds great in the store, on an MP3,or that's been hyped....only to find that it sucks live on stage?

Anyone?

On the other hand, ever had a "sleeper" that you didn't expect much from that sounded great live?

• Members

Here is an odd sleeper..

Guitar Suite's amp sims - specifically, the marshall sim.

Not spectacular for recording (not bad, though), but man.. You wouldn't believe the reaction it got from the crowd live. I had to do another quick soundcheck between a set I played with a friend (mellow stuff, using the fender twin sim), and my set (high contrast rock/neoclassical/blues, a mix between the marshall sim and the fender twin sim). I hit a pinch harmonic, and.. Nothing came out. Of course, I'm using my PC live, with my Creative standard 4.1 speaker setup (in a 700-seater theatre, with no way to run to the PA at the time, because I basically wrote most of my set for the show in 2 days and didn't think to get all the cables I'd need). I jiggle my 1/4 to 1/8 adapter behind the tower, hit the harmonic again, and I swear.. That was amazing. Everybody was floored. That HUGE sound just came from my computer.

If you are a poor bastard like me, look into Guitar Suite's sims. They are free - couple them with an ASIO 2.0 soundcard (my mobo has ASIO 2.0 sound) and Chainer (a good VST host for live usage), and you've got yourself an amp for small-medium sized gigs. Of course, a PA is recommended. :) Also check out the MDA VST FX (free - the dynamics VST is my most used one), and Voxengo's free VST FX. I also use Wunderverb on occasion when practicing in a small room to help me get into the live mood.

• Members

Originally posted by Janglin_Jack

That is the test of any gear. At gigging volume.

Jack

agreed!

I used a couple of TS7's for a long time gigging. I didnt like the bypass on my TS9.

Roctron austin gold was a sleeper that worked its way in to my rig after one of the TS7's started to die. the austin gold sounded kind of ass-y at low volumes, but on stage i used it quite a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I've heard a few people say that Frantone pedals don't perform on the stage as well as at practice volumes...

Not true in my experience, people always ask about my Vibrutron.

• Members

Don't know that it's a fault of the pedal, but I've stopped bringing my Holy Grail reverb to our gigs any more. It's a nice addition to my Bassman in our accoustically dead rehearsal space, but most venues have plenty natural reverb for what I'm looking for

• Members

ts-9 808 brown, it sound great in the bedroom, gets lost live. know the route 66 gets used more live cause its not as smooth so the sound is there.

sleeper pedal is my monsterpiece npn fuzz, i use it for so much stuff i cant imagine it not on my board.

the monsterpiece actually makes my ts-9 usable i use the ts-9 to boost the fuzz, i have the fuzz set up witht he bias maxed and fuzz at 3 oclock so it realy defined sound. the ts-9 thickens ti up and turns it into monsterscreamer i love it

• Members

Originally posted by knspilka

Flatmids mode on the Fulldrive 2. The lack of mids sounds good, but just doesn't cut in a 2 guitar band. I just put my battered old ts-808 back on the board. If it ain't broke....

My experience as well. I love the Fulldrive 2 at home, but when I step on it live it just disappears in the mix.

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

...sleeper pedal is my monsterpiece npn fuzz, i use it for so much stuff i cant imagine it not on my board...

That's good to know. Based on the sound clips I really want one.

This is an interesting thread because it brings up the base concept of how do you really judge a pedal? Trying something with a strange guitar/amp setup in a shop at moderate volume isn't really going to give you a true idea of what it'll do live. Also, of course, how your sound is run at a gig and the acoustics of the room (which canl change depending on how many people are there) are important.

I've seen several bands with younger/inexperienced players over the years where the guitarist is getting distortion from a pedal, and sets the level way too low, and the gain way too high, so when they'd go from a loud clean sound to this subdued, muffled fuzz in the background. Those may have been their "bedroom" settings, which sound great at low volume, but everything reacts differently at stage volume.

• Members

Good responses!

I remember buying one of the first multi-effect rack units on the market back in the 1980's. It was great for Studio applications, but using it live resulted in sheer Mush.

Not to mention a few pedals over the years where the sound "dissappeared" when you kicked them in.

Then again, I've had some sound harsh by themselves that really woke up in a live band mix.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

I haven't found a fuzz yet that'll cut thru the band at gig volumes.

Seems they're all excellent at practice/recording levels though.

For me so far, the best pedals for gig volumes are the SCOD, HBE Power Screamer, and Crunch Box.

I agree..

at lower volumes, I love my Fuzz (Mayo, Fuzz Factory) but in the heat of things, nothing cuts better than my tube amp. (Laney TT100H)

Archived