Korg Toneworks AX3G...how good is it?

• Members

I'm thinking of buying the new Korg Toneworks AX3G for simple jam sessions. The idea of not having to bring my pedalboard sounds cool to me....

Funny how the AX3G did not receive that much publicity like the ZOOM G2 or 505 or Digitech RP series....

For those who owns it pls enlighten me with answers to the following...

a) I have heard that these are made in Japan...is it true?

b) Does it sound like its flagship AX3000G?lrg_AX3G.jpg

• Members

i have one and i love it!

i use a pod xt live for gigs,but for jams i take the ax3g.

the models are suppossed to be based on some frmo the vox tonelab and it does sound simialir.

I mutch prefer it to the zoom.Its not as well built,but costs less and you can mix and match amps/cab models and get a decent straight to pa sound.

it does remind me of an old car radio tho...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Considering the price its a great little unit giving me a whole range of different amp tones & effects a low cost. The manual is uninformative, however I found the AX3000G manual on the Korg support site covers most of the models & effects emulated. I've put together the following based on the manual & other posts here. Some of these are best guess so any feedback is welcome.

Cab Models

c0 TWEED 1x8 open back Fender Tweed Champ cabinet with one 8" Alnico magnet speaker

c1 TWEED 1x12 open back 1953 Fender Tweed Deluxe 40 Watt cabinet with one 12-inch Fender Special Design Eminence Alnico

c2 TWEED 4x10 1959 Fender Bassman 50 Watt cabinet with four 10" Jensen P10R speakers with Alnico magnets

c3 BLACK 2x10 Fender Vibrolux Open back 40 Watt combo cabinet with two 10

• Members

I was thinking about buying some new toy, and this thing seems to have potential, especially at the price. Is the model with the expression pedal worth the difference in price? It looks a bit flimsy for something to step on.

toneworks_ax5g_pimx_192463.jpg

• Members

It sux.

But then I was playing thru an equally sucky amp, so maybe I didnt discover the full potential.

The processors have a slider switch which allows you to connect directly to a mixer. (Does some cabinet emulation).

Strangely, the tone sounds better even on amp, if you select the direct out instead of amp switch.

:eek:

Anyway, I prefer the ax100/1000/1500 tones more than ax1/3/10 etc.

And no it sounds different from ax3000. (Atleast to my ears)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

UberXTC asked whether you could turn the Amp modelling off completely. The answer is yes, just go into edit mode, select Amp/Drive and press the left & right part of the parameter switch to turn it off.

Archived