How far do you want to travel?

Sea World in San Diebo

DisneyLand in Anahiem

San Diego Zoo

Fisherman's Wharf in Frisco

Golden Gate Bridge in Frisco

Alcatrazz in Frisco

Pismo Beach is a very cool place.

Berkeley and Santa Barbara are great cities to visit.

• Members

Well I got too weeks so anywhere and everywhere although I expect I'll head northwards to San Fransisco after the wedding. I'm not into typical tourist stuff like Disneyland. Just want to meet some cool people, catch some good music and have a good time really.

So I expect invites to all parties taking place around that time

:thu:

• Members

We cruise up to San Luis Obispo just for lunch sometimes. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from LA. Outside of Santa Barbara we love that town. The old town area has this nice little river running through it.

I'd just head up Hwy 1 and roll through Big Sur. One of the nicest coast drives around. Stop at Nepentha's (spelling?) in Big Sur. You can't miss it, it's right on Hwy 1 in Big Sur. Great food and a view to match. Hit the Aquarium in Monterey, it's worth the peak. I know you said you don't like the touristy stuff (I can relate to traveling like that) but the Aquarium is worth it.

In San Francisco the first think to do it head up Twin Peaks. It's the smallish mountain in the city that has the huge read and white radio tower on top of it. It will give you a great overview of the city below. Make sure one day you cross the Golden Gate on head into Marin County. Many great breakfast stops and nice little towns. Sausalito is worth it just for the views.

Before moving to LA I lived in the Bay Area for many years.

• Members

One other thing you have to check out when in San Fransico. If you are in the city on a Sunday you have to go to church. Now I'm not talking just any church, I'm talking about the Church of St. John Coltrain. They used to be on Divisidero St when I went there. I did google the church name awhile back and found out they moved down along Market St, more in the Financial district.

If they are still there make sure you hit the 11:45 Euology (Sp?). The "pastor's" play the entire "Love Supreme" album. When I say play I mean tear it up. The main pastor's kids play drums, bass and piano, then one pastor plays tenor the other alto sax. It's all interactive so they give everyone tamborines or some sort of percussive thing.

it will blow you away. I've took many friends there when I lived in the Bay Area. They all walked out laughing shaking there heads saying "that was like being in Harlem in the day seeing "Train". it's that good. At least it was then, haven;t been in a number of years but worth a try.

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

Well I got too weeks so anywhere and everywhere although I expect I'll head northwards to San Fransisco after the wedding. I'm not into typical tourist stuff like Disneyland. Just want to meet some cool people, catch some good music and have a good time really.

So I expect invites to all parties taking place around that time

:thu:

You could meet up with Marin Timmy.

• Members

Originally posted by dougsthang

We cruise up to San Luis Obispo just for lunch sometimes. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from LA. Outside of Santa Barbara we love that town. The old town area has this nice little river running through it.

I'd just head up Hwy 1 and roll through Big Sur. One of the nicest coast drives around. Stop at Nepentha's (spelling?) in Big Sur. You can't miss it, it's right on Hwy 1 in Big Sur. Great food and a view to match. Hit the Aquarium in Monterey, it's worth the peak. I know you said you don't like the touristy stuff (I can relate to traveling like that) but the Aquarium is worth it.

In San Francisco the first think to do it head up Twin Peaks. It's the smallish mountain in the city that has the huge read and white radio tower on top of it. It will give you a great overview of the city below. Make sure one day you cross the Golden Gate on head into Marin County. Many great breakfast stops and nice little towns. Sausalito is worth it just for the views.

Before moving to LA I lived in the Bay Area for many years.

Yep, you gotta do the Big Sur Coast. And it's Nepenthe's, not Nepentha's, and the view from their patio is gorgeous.

Carmel (my home town) is beautifull as well. I would stop at Point Lobos on the way up (about 1 mile south of Carmel on Highway 1, and you can't miss it coming up from Big Sur). It's a state park and one of the most beautiful meetings of land and sea anywhere.

Cannery Row in Monterey is kinda cool if you like the touristy stuff, and of course there is the Monterey Bay Aquariam.

If you've never been to Yosemite, early June can be spectacular for the waterfalls - they usually peak in late May / early June. If you're into hiking there are tons of killer day hikes in Yosemite:

Yosemite Falls

Vernal and Nevada Falls and the panaromic trail

Glacier point (a tough hike, but the VIEW!) If you're a wimp you can drive up, but you must see the valley from Glacier Point!

I also highly recomend to northern California coast from San Fransisco up to the Oregon. Just plain beautiful.

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

I'm hitting California end of June for 2 weeks. Heading up to San Luis Obispo for a wedding then travelling around.

Any suggestions for destinations?

For the LA area:

Sunset Strip

- House of Blues, Whiskey, Viper room, etc.

- bunch of music stores

Hollywood/Highland

- touristy but ok

- MIT is east of Highland and on some nights there's a performance class that is fun to check out.

- Jimmy Kimmel show tapes there

Fairfax/3rd

- a little touristy as well but cool

- Farmer's Market (good place to eat 'cause there's a whole bunch of different {censored})

Venice Beach

- can be touristy but still eclectic and fun

- freaks come out at night

Have fun!!!

:jb

• Members

Originally posted by x-honeyspider-x

I'm gonna be in LA for 3 weeks this summer. Are there any good websites with live music listings i could check out?

Try these:

Monday Night at the Spud has terrifying guitar!

http://thebakedpotato.com/

http://mikelandau.com/

http://www.laveleejazzclub.com/calendar.shtml

http://www.voltoband.com/main.htm

http://www.safari-sams.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=118&Itemid=214

-Mr. Huge

• Members

Originally posted by MrHuge

Try these:

Monday Night at the Spud has terrifying guitar!

-Mr. Huge

Great recommendations all. Monday nights at Safari Sam's are giving the Spud a run. Robben Ford and/or Mike Landau and friends, 10 bucks cover.

• Members

Originally posted by Last Nerve

Guit...you've traveled!

If you have the time, and can muster Highway 1 all the way up the coast....breathtaking.

Hurry now, before that MEGA-Tsunami wipes it all out.
:D

Naw, I just grew up in Carmel and had more than a few friends from the Big Sur area. Yosemite was a popular vacation spot when I was growing up (I'm sure we went at least once a year and many years several times) and is now a popular vacation spot for my family.

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

Roxy good

Troubadour good

Viper Room okay

HOB grudgingly worth it for a good band

Whisky pay-to-play since the mid-90s at least

Best midsize venue: Music Box/Fonda

Very good list.

If you can The Wiltern Theater is a cool place to see a show. Great architecture!

• Members

Originally posted by BlurryBoy 13

Go to the Winchester Mystery House in San Francisco

It's actually in San Jose, probably an hour or so from San Fran...and I wasn't all that impressed. It was fine, but I wouldn't make a special trip there.

Apparently that area has been built up with a lot of shops and restaurants now, though.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

It's actually in San Jose, probably an hour or so from San Fran...and I wasn't all that impressed. It was fine, but I wouldn't make a special trip there.

Apparently that area has been built up with a lot of shops and restaurants now, though.

I just went on my way out of san fran when i took a roadtrip. It's worth a stop if you are driving to LA but it's not AMAZING.

Archived