Planet Waves solderless cables review

• Members

Got the PedalTrain Pro in, was wiring it up and decided to get some George L's at the local GC.

Well, they didn't have them... but they had the planet waves setup. Same basic idea - cut the cables, shove em into the ends. Here's what I found on these vs George L's - my opinion only.

1) Planet Waves cables are much thicker than the George L's. MUCH. For wiring a pedalboard, they aren't as easy to bend around.

2) The connectors are nicer. Twist the cable as you push it in, and then tighten a screw until it stops. I've owned GL's for years and they sometimes take a few tries to get them right. First time I tried these, worked perfectly.

3) The PW kit included a nice little cable cutter that worked great.

4) No idea on tonal advantages. they worked ok and seemed fine. Shorter cables don't vary as much as longer ones.

I don't like the way the PW's are harder to bend/move around the pedalboard than the GLs, but they are easier/quicker to assemble and seem to be very well made. I ended up getting my set for $45 plus shipping, not bad for 10' of cable and 10 ends.

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

MUCH more space.

Our definitions of 'much' are different I guess... I need to put a ruler to it, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than 1/4".

That does add up though. :)

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Our definitions of 'much' are different I guess... I need to put a ruler to it, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than 1/4".

That does add up though.
:)

Pete

well if u need THAT much room get a second or third or fourth board right?? im with stratotone... it wouldn't effect me at all... if i wanted a 80 pedals id probably have 8 boards!!

Archived