favorite amp/speaker sim (no fx) for small venues

jerrye

• Members

I'm considering an amp/speaker simulator for a small venue. I want to use my pedalboard/stompboxes (wah, chorus, delay) for all the effects though. The venue lacks room for my amp, so I'm not interested in attenuators? or anything else that requires my amp. I'm playing a variety of music -- country, funk, jazz, classic rock, and power pop metal, so I need distortion and clean sounds. Please tell me your favorite amp/speaker simulator/s or tell me what sounds the best in your opinion.

I have a J-Station, and I may go with it. But I've grown weary of programming. I wouldn't get a Pod, because it's too close to the J-Station and has its own fx.

I've heard some good things about a Behringer. My local music store has only a Boss OD-20. I read reviews, and the focus is on using it with an amp, although it does have a comibination headphone jack/speaker simulator jack.

I'm looking for bang for the buck. I'm willing to compromise on sound quality, as compared to my mesa amp, within reason. I want to get the benefits of going direct and taking less space in a small venue.

I've researched other HC forums, but the focus seemed to be on recording, not live.

Thanks in advance,

jve

• Members

it may not be what you're looking for...but i had a digitech RP100 not too long ago. it was kinda cheap and plastic-y, BUUUT it had some pretty decent amp sims and excellent micing sims. it's worth trying it out at your local guitar shop.

for $99, you get several different amp models, single-coil and humbucker sims, cab. micing sims, EQ, halfway decent effects, reverbs, and delays.

obviously, you can bypass whatever you don't want to use.

it's small too.. :p

• Members

hey, if you are gonna go direct to pa from a processor, try this:
crank the channel's midrangwe, turn the bass about half way, and turn the treble OFF.
you can bring up the highs again a bit if you need them, but you can get some MEAT outta the tone instead of high-end fizzle.

Archived