Has anyone tried the Death Rattle III?

• Members

I won one in a contest here, just as the Viii was released.

First off, props to Ryan at Toadworks, here I was getting a freebie, won it on a Friday, it arrived on Monday, can't beat that.

I love this thing. Nice and versitile. Most of my use has been at home so far, we've only had one chance to practice with the band since getting it. At home it's been a lot fun to tweak, good range of sounds.

The ablity to put the boost pre or post the od/distortion is a big plus. In front of the dirt section it really does add a nice crunch factor to what ever dirt you have going. I also very much appreciate the fact the the boost can be run independently of the dirt section, unlike some pedals that only let you run the boost on top of the OD.

So far my favorite at home settings have been lower gain on the plexi side, higher gain on the Tweed. I've always had a thing for lower gain Marshally sounds, the DR delivers this very well. Running the Tweed dirtier, makes for nice contrast, but still with a little overlap. Still working out my settings with the louder band situation, but I don't see myself changing things too much.

• Members

You know, that reminds me....a while back Toadworks had some promotion running where they sent some pedals to some places that weren't already dealers, and if you asked for the pedal they had sent, then you got it free or something. What ever came of that?

• Members

I have the DR II, and although I really like the idea I have had some reliability issues with it (in fairness, though, I must say that I am very hard on gear). I've been looking around for 2 channel ODs with a boost, and the DR III keeps surfacing. I just hope it is a little tougher than the one I have now--I like the idea of the boost switch (the DRII doesn't have that).

I heard about that promotion, too.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I have one and I think it sounds great! I use it a lot. I don't think that I could do without it. I also have the DR-II. The DR-III is much better. The tone control on the Tweed section has been improved and bass response in the Plexi section is much smoother.

Archived