How do I learn more about pedals?

yjsays

• Members

in a way, that's a pretty good question. what IS the best way to figure out how pedals should be used, and what order to put them, and what they do? there must be some online source of information for beginners that explains all the basic pedals and shows the way that some of them interact with each other. hmm... interesting idea, huh?

• Members

What you need to do it start out with 1500 dollars, and buy/sell/trade gear that you have always heard about. Then when you have made a little money from doing that, you start selling parts for effects boxes and guitars.

Oops, thats what I did...

Just poke around the forum, ask questions, and make a nuisance of yourself. People will hate you, but who cares, you will know about effects then.

John

• Members

Originally posted by mamberg

just buy and sell stuff constantly, and keep trying new things, until soon, you too can post on HC with your wealth of knowlege.

+1

Trial and error are your friends, and there's no substitute for experience. Keep your boxes and papers and think of shipping as a rental charge.

• Members

Another thing to do would be to buy a cheap multi fx, like a Behringer V Amp, Zoom G2 (heard great things about that one), line 6 pod, or whatever. Then when you find a sound you like, you can find out what pedals the multi fx is modeling (their instruction manual usually tells you) and go buy those.

Otherwise, you can start by buying a good distortion/od, wah, chorus, and delay seperately. Search the forums for suggestions.

• Members

try as many as possible.
Use the spam thread to sell or trade. If not available try Ebay.
Most of all, use the SEARCH option for this forum. It is money.
finally ask away, this forum is fast and very welcoming. generally speaking

• Members
Originally posted by 48729zjd

http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/HowEffectsWork.htm

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/effects-explained.html

read those pages, and the geofx efx explained page, and then you know basically what the guys here talking about.

and then start small with one box of your desire, mostly any kind of dirt box, play with it around until your stuck, then ask here what next. aso...

...or you go with the acoustic advice, never show up here again and thank us later that you saved a lot of money :D

• Members

All of my (limited) knowledge of effects pedals was learnt by hanging around here, reading threads and user reviews. I also looked around on guitar geek reading reviews and looking at how people set their gear up, where they put their pedals in the chain. The only article I've read about pedals is this - The Complete Guide to Guitar Effects. It's not really that great, but at least I learnt what a modulation pedal is!

Hearing different types of pedals is also a great way to learn - it's quite hard to describe things like flangers and choruses. Sound clips or having a go with mate's pedals helps here. :thu:

I want the analog man book :(

Archived