Freind Has 8 Fender Super Champ amps!

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

I'm trying to borrow one for a try out!!Anyone use these live?? Mic ed of course

Those amps are fu#king nuts!!! I would love to get my hands on one of them

I've had three of them at various times over the years, and only have on now. It's been modded to the hilt, (EL34's anyone? :eek: ) but I may find the time to restore it to stock one of these days. Amazngly cool little amps. :thu:

Th Princeton II (which I also have) is also outstanding, and they have not quite gone up as much in price as the SC's, so you may still find a decent ($500 - $600) deal on one. Mine is pretty much the stock circuit, with the factory option EV 12 in it, except I re-Tolexed it in cream with an oxblood grille and added a DC heater mod and negative feedback kill switch to it. All parts hand tested to 1% tolerance... a really cool little amp.

One word of warning though - stock footswitches for these amps are hard to find and go for silly money, so if you're bidding on one, make sure it includes the stock switch, or budget / bid accordingly.

• Members

I had one back in the early mid eighties. It was my first tube amp and it had the EV 12 in it. What a delicious amp. I could get tones from my pre teen childhood days. I had quite an asortment of pedals back then. I think a Boss OD-1, chandler Tube Driver 4 knob version, compressor, chorus, flanger delay. The Super Champ, Princeton II were both Paul Rivera designed. I curently have the Concert which was designed by Paul Rivera. It is nothing compared to my memory of the Super Champ. [probably needs repair, the overdrive just sucks.]

Does your friend play several at one time? There are really three distinct tone zones on those little beasts. Clean, Overdriven, Lead.

That beast prepared me for the journey into Mesa Boogie Land. It also cost me quite a bit later, because I bought a Rivera TBR SL1 which was an equally fine Paul Rivera design.

I should never have traded the Super Champ. Freaken Rack Gear!:mad:

I will get another one someday.

:thu: For the Super Champ

Originally posted by fatbackribs

I had a Super Champ that was cut down into a head for a while. It could scream.

Weren't the Princeton 2's designed by Paul Rivera?

Actually, the designs of the "II" series amps (Princeton II, Deluxe II, early 80's Concert, Twin II, Super Champ, Champ II) are oftentimes attribuetd to Paul, but he didn't actually design them per se. Paul spec'ed the features he wanted, and the actual circuit designs were done by Ed Jahns.

No biggie, and certainly nothing aganst Paul Rivera, but Ed deserves some of the credit too. :thu: With the return to "blackface" cosmetics, addition of channel switching to most models, being hand-wired (the last of the non-custom shop PTP Fenders), and having rippin' tone, these early to mid 80's Fenders were the last of their breed - kind of an "old meets new" thing, but with some of the best of the old features still remaining.

Archived