D*A*M Ram Head?

• Members

Does anyone know where to find a Ram Head in stock? And is this the Muff clone I want or would an ICBM or Da MOAF get me the same fuzz sound for half the price?

I guess on that topic can anyone compare the Ram Head vs. ICBM vs. MOAF vs. Mayo vs. Top Fuel? (Any other currently available boutique Muff clones I'm missing?) If you choose two, one for "wall of fuzz" and one for Gilmour-esque singing leads what would you go with?

• Members

Originally posted by PFDarkside

Does anyone know where to find a Ram Head in stock? And is this the Muff clone I want or would an ICBM or Da MOAF get me the same fuzz sound for half the price?

I guess on that topic can anyone compare the Ram Head vs. ICBM vs. MOAF vs. Mayo vs. Top Fuel? (Any other currently available boutique Muff clones I'm missing?) If you choose two, one for "wall of fuzz" and one for Gilmour-esque singing leads what would you go with?

I got 5 Clones-

Rams Head

Skreddy Ernie

MJM Foxy Fuzz

Everman- Ultra-Drive

ICBM

Wall of fuzz, IMO is the Everman Ultradrive. Tons of fuzz, a tone and a filter control, so you can get scooped fuzz and an internal adjustment for different values.

The ICBM and Ram Head are pretty close, both having nice mids and not overly wall of fuzz sounding. IMO both sound like the first Montrose album. I give an edge to the Ram Head for detail and IMO it's just a bit finer.

Here's a Ram Head clip-

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=343910&songID=3897000

• Members

I've got an ICBM, a Mayo, and a Zero. The Mayo is in between the other two IMO. The Zero and Mayo sound very similar, with the Zero being the really ripping one and the Mayo being fuzzier and creamier.

The Mayo and ICBM can be dialed in to sound very close. The ICBM is supposedly a carbon copy of an old IC Big Muff, although I've never heard an original to compare it to. All I know is it sounds huge. Whether you want thick fuzziness, or more focused bite, the ICBM will definitely give it to you.

Originally posted by carlygtr56

The ICBM and Ram Head are pretty close, both having nice mids and not overly wall of fuzz sounding.

...and on that note, I'll point out that I've got an ICBM for sale. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the info guys... On the topic of Muff type pedals, which one has the most "clarity" when playing chords? (I guess I don't even know what I want yet, just trying to get all the info before pulling the trigger.) The ICBM looks good though...

• Members

This thread and another PM got me thinking, so I threw the ICBM back on the board and did another little shootout between it and the Mayo. To my ears, the ICBM seems to be a little brighter than the Mayo. With the tone on the Mayo at noon, the ICBM seems to need it's tone a little before that to get the same sound.

Other than that, they're very close in sound. The voicing is a little different, and I still go back and forth between which one I prefer more. I'm sticking with the Mayo simply because it complements the Zero so well.

• Members

Originally posted by PFDarkside

Thanks for the info guys... On the topic of Muff type pedals, which one has the most "clarity" when playing chords? (I guess I don't even know what I want yet, just trying to get all the info before pulling the trigger.) The ICBM looks good though...

The ones with the nice mids IMO, The Ram Head and ICBM

Archived