What's the best Fuzz-Wah out there?

zinzin

• Members

i know there is the old colorsound fuzz-wah, than a ibanez model and a schaller ... but i never had the chance to try one out. i have a wah and a fuzz, but it would be a great option to have a fuzz-wah: to step on it and fuzz is there! and i can go uuu-wuooouuu-iii

• Members

I have an old DeArmond Thunderbolt that I absolutely love. Clean it is very colorsoundish but with a more swampy sound to it...kick the fuzz in and it oozes tone. Really nice smooth fuzz sounds. Cocked positions are amazing. It is really thick and can do phaser sounds really well too. It just nails the Stones Heartbreaker rhythm guitar so perfectly that I would swear it was used instead of an overdriven amp and phaser.

thunderbolt.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by zinzin

why "impractical"?

you need to flick a toggle on the side of the pedal to get the fuzz and/or geisha going, and it seems flimsy, fragile, plastic feel (but it's pretty sturdy) and it has controls on the side, you can't see how these are set and even using the pedal as a stand alone pedal, but, I managed to solve the switchless wah problem, that I found most impractical, for years I simply stood on the pedal to switch the wah on (that's why I know it's sturdy after all), it took 3 years before I noticed the tiniest switch that was almost at the same level as the housing, I raised it a little (there even is an adjusting screw inside) and now it switches comfortably ...

which reminds me, I still need to take the Geisha out of my sig, since it replaced the Budda Wah on my board

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

there's the impractical Jacques Singing Geisha, sounds stellar

the JEN Double Sound wah-dist

My problem with the Jens and the like are that you can have fuzz-wah or wah but not just fuzz.

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

My problem with the Jens and the like are that you can have fuzz-wah or wah but not just fuzz.

yes, that is a shame really, but if I were zinzin, I'd look out for one, since these can be found cheap in Italy, and sound very nice

• 4 years later...
  • Members

meanwhile I sold my JEN Double Sound

and got a Colorsound Supa Fuzz Wah Swell pedal instead

the fuzz is a bit low volume, so it needs a clean boost to pump it up

but it does sound good at its own, just gets lost in the mix

I also still have the Jacques Singing Geisha, I adjusted the on/off switch and now it is very comfortable to play, it's a little noisy in my chain, and it sounds better with batteries than with a powersupply

• Members

The Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzz Crying Tone Wah, because the sweep is super wide, it has 3 different range options, it has the ability to reverse the treadle, the pedal is humongous like an aircraft carrier, and last but not least... it is vintage EHX, so it has ALL the mojo.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7468131

I plan to pick up a vintage Morley Tel Ray Power Fuzz Wah when I can find one for about $100.

• Members

[video=youtube;3N0edIYD5fo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N0edIYD5fo

ZINZIN!~ WUT UP?!? Hows Johns Children?!?!

i love my double beat. it cleans up nicely, has a fuzzface, big muff, and a kind of dark tonebender sound, and the wah is synthy. theres a volume drop, but theres a mod to fix that. got it for 100 or so back in 2000 in Hiroshima.

Archived