Guitar Center won't carry my book!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Esperanto

That's a compliment...have you seen their average clientele???
:D

The last time I went to GC...this azn kid with a mohawk and his girl friend that had like 5 different colored hair plugged a gothic sg into a line 6 and made the worst racket I've ever heard.. The sales clerk went up to the kid and asked him if he needed his guitar tuned.. THe Kid said 'yeah man, could you tune it to drop C"

swear to God..that actually happened.

am I a snob?

What's an azn kid?

• Members

WOW! I didn't expect this many replies. I was just bitchin'. :)

Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I really think their reason is more about profit than anything else.

I suppose I could be comforted by the idea that my book is "too good" for GC. But the fact is I just want it to sell. I'm not really in a position to be the Book Nazi. After a year and a half, I haven't even paid back the huge ass loan I took to get the book into print. And that doesn't even account for the two years I spent writing it and not making money. I just thought it would sell a lot better than it has. So I really had my hopes up that the GC deal would be the boost I was looking for.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, but believe me, there isn't a lot I haven't thought of or looked into in the past year and a half. Most online booksellers like Amazon want 55% of the cover price plus other fees. And then they want to mark the cover price down further. :confused: Most big publishers can afford to work that way because of the sheer volume they do. They also have more than one book in their catalog. I only have one, and it's more like a boutique thing. It cost me WAY more per copy than the average book. The graphic design fees alone were over $20,000. I did think of a workaround for Amazon - I set myself up as a "Used Bookseller" with them. That way I can sell it "direct from the publisher" and they make a more modest commission on the sale than if they were to carry it.

I did speak to a purchasing agent at Barnes & Noble. She thought the book sounded great and was really impressed with how many I've sold on my own. She said, "Great, all you need is a distributor." :( Basically, another hand in the pie. I found out that nearly all retail booksellers will only work with distributors, otherwise they'd be writing 10,000 checks a month to individual publishers and authors. I've been na

• Members

It's ironic that part of my limited success at GC was due to me purchasing your book.

The whole company has been getting extremely uptight, and the book purchaser is rather clueless. Only a matter of time before the lower level employees have a union, imo.

Anyways, {censored} 'em.

• Members

When I worked at GC, I really made an effort to get in cool, boutique, rare and vintage pedals and gear - eventually I was made 'Vintage Gear Manager' or something hokey sounding like that - but being an actual manager gave me the say to bring in a lot of cool stuff. I had even built up my own 'clientele' that I kept in touch with, guys into the old skool, rare and boutique (I hated slinging all the mass produced lo-buck crap) that would have really appreciated your book Tom. If I were still there I would have definitely done my best to get it in the store. Its a shame that there aren't more people with say at GCs that are willing or even interested in bringing in the cool stuff, because honestly even though the bread and butter is Crate, Line 6, Boss Fender etc. there are people in management that actually have a say (even if it is limited in ways) on bringing in things on a store-by-store basis - not that I am trying to defend GC, I had my share of struggles there dealing with lots of company crap too.

I will say that I hadn't really had the chance to take a very good look at your book before, but last nite Nick and I were talking about all this, so I took a good look in between making the guts for a bunch of Semaphores. I will say that I was impressed and totally plan on adding it to my reference materials. Not to mention all the eye candy!
Its a sweet piece of work. Don't get discouraged, i'm sure good outlets are just around the corner.

• Members
Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

i'm very sorry for you, cause i really love the book and i wish you more success, but one thing aside: the book business is more worse than the music business.

a lot of bands tried to produce their albums on their own, made great songs did great recording, great mastering and production got a couple of cd's pressed and then they found nobody who wants to sell them :( if oyu don't have a contract with a label, produce how and what they want you can make brilliant music but nobody will help you in the business

there are millions out there, which write books/script about any topic you can imagine, hand them in to a publisher and get rejected, day by day.
the ones who get the ok to be published, get a contract where they don't really make money out of it(as i wrote from my professors experience, and at the time the book was published there was no book on programming c#, it was the first one)

book stores sell only books from distributors, because also the distributors and publishers fix the price, if they say they can go down, they can, but they are not allowed to change the price. the margin a book store makes in selling a book is also pretty tight.

like the music business the book business is more the same mafia and its really pain in the ass to sell something on your own :(

keep up on the forums, put it up to ebay, i wish you good luck

• Members

Right now, your market is people who are into FX.

Get on the shelves at Borders, and your market grows exponentially to include people who buy gifts for people who are into FX, or even for people who just play guitar. There are a lot more girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, kids etc out there than there are dudes who would think to buy the book for themselves.

It might be worthwhile to bite the bullet on distribution and take a smaller cut of a much larger market.

• Members
Originally posted by bassplayinguy

theres a mom and pop store nearby thats is like that... if its not mass produced... they dont know what it is, nor do they seem to care.

I got scoffed at when i told them i didnt want to buy a DS-1, i was chatting with one of the employees there and told him i found a nice pedal (not better, different) and when he asked what it was and didnt recognise the name, he totally wrote it off.... disappointing really....

ah well, at least im the only one in town who has a sound of my own, not all mass produced cookie cutter pedals and amps....
:)

Which store was that? Riverside? or Tecumseh Music? or Long and McQuade's? It could be any of them :confused:

• Members

Try these shops:

BCR Music - 717.730.9775
Triple R Guitar - 717.730.9028

Both are located in/near Harrisburg, PA and the owners of both shops are pretty cool. I buy most of my gear from these two.

• Members

no guitar centre around here. :rolleyes:

dont worry, the book will find its way to the people that really are interested. maybe amazon is not so bad idea. and dont forget europe and japan.

great book. :thu:

Archived