Guitar Center won't carry my book!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're probably better off without GC. I wrote a book and a big local bookstore agrred to carry it. They offered me 40% of the list price, but didn't pay for more than five months. I know they sold well, because they kept ordering more. When I realized they were way past due paying, I told them I would only send them more COD.

They declined and it took another couple months for them to pay me what they owed.

This is despite a written contract requiring payment within 90 days of delivery. They got to hold my books and my money for an extra 120 days without paying any interest.

{censored} 'em.

• Members
Originally posted by DaSkip

I've taken Lovepedals into the Arlington store and they loved them but were clueless. Why do I feel most of my pedals are an enigma to them?
:wave:

theres a mom and pop store nearby thats is like that... if its not mass produced... they dont know what it is, nor do they seem to care.

I got scoffed at when i told them i didnt want to buy a DS-1, i was chatting with one of the employees there and told him i found a nice pedal (not better, different) and when he asked what it was and didnt recognise the name, he totally wrote it off.... disappointing really....

ah well, at least im the only one in town who has a sound of my own, not all mass produced cookie cutter pedals and amps.... :)

• Members
Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

It took a while to get an answer, but they finally got back to me and said they were very impressed but they "didn't think it would be a good fit for their clientele."
:confused:

They also said if they did carry it, I wouldn't be able to sell it on my website.

Between this and my recent website problems, I'm feeling a little discouraged here...
:(

man Im sorry to hear but it makes sense. I think they are unfortunately right. I think that your book is probably not a good fit because that means they wont be able to sell the mass produced crapola. I would venture to say that most of their profit in the pedal department is off selling stuff like the digitech grunge, boss DS-1 and things like that. Im making an inference here though. Some GC's carry fulltone pedals but thats all for boutique.

Why would you want to sell your book at GC. It is not the market that you want. Do you trully believe good tone is a mass produced, bought in a package, televised product?

I vote for barnesandnoble and amazons

best of luck

• Members

i already have my copy and i love it.

my bassplayer declined to read it, cause he don't want to become a geer slut like me :D

ad. GC, yeah it tells you, you are better as the massproduced garbage out there they sell.

thumps up, selling a book is really tough, my professor at univerisity wrote a book about c# programming, first in german for his lectures, a year after he and his assistants had rewritten the book in english and extended it for about more than 3 chapters.

the publisher said the would publish it, but the margin for the aouthers would be 50 euro cents per copy, the books sells for about 60euro on amazon now :(
for the first version in german they get about 3 euros per copy

if wouldn't have already one i would buy it right now again :)

• Members
Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

It took a while to get an answer, but they finally got back to me and said they were very impressed but they "didn't think it would be a good fit for their clientele."

That's a compliment...have you seen their average clientele??? :D :D :D

The last time I went to GC...this azn kid with a mohawk and his girl friend that had like 5 different colored hair plugged a gothic sg into a line 6 and made the worst racket I've ever heard.. The sales clerk went up to the kid and asked him if he needed his guitar tuned.. THe Kid said 'yeah man, could you tune it to drop C"

swear to God..that actually happened.

am I a snob?

• Members

Your book is my bible! The amount of hits I get looking for the review of your book and purchase info is amazing. F*ck gc, theyre the Pizza Hut of music. I'll move the review info back up on my front page so its there for all to see, especially when I've got my updates done.

• Members

I'm sure it's probably been stated already, but it's obviously not in GC's interest to sell the book for the simple reason that it's making reference to a whole lot of gear that they don't stock. GC is interested in confining people's knowlege to gear they carry, so that way when a person wants to make a purchase, they just come to the local GC rather than hunt for something else on ebay or wherever.

You're book is fundamentally competitive advertising :D

I'm sure it's a great read though :thu:

• Members

Sorry to hear that mr. Tom. GC's refusal is more likely a protectionnist measure i guess. Still, it's a damn shame.

The usual gear whore knows already that GC stocks run-of-the-mill stuff. It's not the best kept secret in the world.. :rolleyes:

It would've been nice to see some 13 year old walk in and get the book out of curiosity only to become a great effect builder years later because of it. You know, give the kids access to what they never thought was available.

+1 on Long & MacQuade
As well as:
-Steve's music(Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto)
-Lauzon Music(Ottawa)

All in Can-Can Land

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

Have you tried getting your book into this place:

They have a cool shop on Denmark Street in London, would be the perfect shop for your book.

someone posted a couple of weeks ago that the book is already in the windows of denmark street.

not sure if it was vintage and rare or the store on the opposite

• Members

This goes in the Blessing in disguise category.....

1. They are right - it doesnt fit their clientele - they push mass produced crud on kids and this doesnt fit - I mean, it'll teach those kiddies how crappy the stuff GC sells is....

2. They would tie you up with so many 'non-compete' & exclusivity clauses - you would suffocate and they would just put your book in some obscure locale in the store.

Try independent but powerful stores that are better fits - like www.elderlyinstruments.com, powerful NYC, CHI & LA independents.

• Members

Ah screw GC. Most of their "clientele" dont know what half of those FX are. All they know is CRATE is where its at on amps, Line 6 for all your fx.

{censored} em.

I walked in there once with a 1968 Barney Kessel Hollowbody to test out a bheringer combo. You would not beleive the stares i got from everyone

Maybe all you Boutique pedal makers/sellers should have one large joined store

A place here i know would be PERFECT to carry it, however i dont know if the guys would be down for that kind of thing. They usually only carry vintage guitar, and they sit stacked on an old Gibson amp...i'm going to ask next time im there though

Archived