Need some DL4 maintenence help...

inscho

• Members

so I have been playing around with the DL4 and preservation is right..the looper kicks ass...the only problem is that the 1/2 speed/reverse switch is faulty...it will work like its suppose to half the time and the other half it doesn't do anything which is a big problem because its the most useful switch on the unit....anyone had this problem before...any quick fixes? I don't want to return it because I got it with the expression pedal and adapter for $130....

help

:cry:

• Members

The DL-4 contains actuators that use a small spring to operate the switch. What this means is that most often the switch is fine and the little spring is out of place. If you are confident working on mechanical things you can remove the board and see if the switch is OK by pressing it with your finger. If it works try stretching the spring a little to make sure it is sitting on the switch correctly. If you are unsure of your skills take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

• Members

Originally posted by danbomb

The DL-4 contains actuators that use a small spring to operate the switch. What this means is that most often the switch is fine and the little spring is out of place. If you are confident working on mechanical things you can remove the board and see if the switch is OK by pressing it with your finger. If it works try stretching the spring a little to make sure it is sitting on the switch correctly. If you are unsure of your skills take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

thanks....I should have used the search before I posted this....a couple of minutes ago I found a couple of threads stating the same thing you just said.

I feel much better now. is there anywhere you can get replacement springs aside from Line6 directly?

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

I just filled out a form online requesting some...will see how it goes

Ah.

When I needed a new switch I just called 'em up. The guy took my address and mailed me a new switch + spring.

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

Ah.

When I needed a new switch I just called 'em up. The guy took my address and mailed me a new switch + spring.

didn't see the number at first...found it called them and they did the same for me...thats good service :thu:

• Members

didn't see the number at first...found it called them and they did the same for me...thats good service

I had similar problems with the switches on my former FM4, checked the website and it pointed me to the local warranty repair guy, got two switches replaced free of charge and had it back within three days. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by DeuceII

I had similar problems with the switches on my former FM4, checked the website and it pointed me to the local warranty repair guy, got two switches replaced free of charge and had it back within three days.

I bought it used....no warranty :( but I should be able to fix it myself if its just the spring.

• Members

I bought it used....no warranty
:(
but I should be able to fix it myself if its just the spring.

If its not just the spring you might try looking up the local warranty repair person and see what it would cost to replace the switch. I wouldn't imagine it would be too expensive, probably cheaper than getting another DL4.

• Members

I had that exact problem up until last sunday.

My tap switch stopped working all together, and once I'd read here about the fix with the springs, I had a go at taking mine apart. I got as far as the hex bolt on the circuit board- I didn't have a spanner or a socket set with me, so I couldn't get it undone. However, when I pulled (VERY GENTLY) down on the corner of the circuit board next to the switch in question, there was a "click", which I assume was the spring popping back into place, because now the switch works perfectly.

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

I had that exact problem up until last sunday.

My tap switch stopped working all together, and once I'd read here about the fix with the springs, I had a go at taking mine apart. I got as far as the hex bolt on the circuit board- I didn't have a spanner or a socket set with me, so I couldn't get it undone. However, when I pulled (VERY GENTLY) down on the corner of the circuit board next to the switch in question, there was a "click", which I assume was the spring popping back into place, because now the switch works perfectly.

what a coincidence....I got all of the screws off and the hex bolt off....it wouldn't come off, called line 6 and found out I had to pull the knobs off the front....I didn't have any pliers....so I just put it back together and hoped for the best. I never heard a "click" but once I got it back together it was working perfectly!

Success!

I'm so happy :cry:

• Members

Success!

I'm so happy
:cry:

I'm now just a little wary of how easily this might happen again in future. Sure, it's a DIY fix, but it's a royal pain in the ass to take all those screws out, and doing it in a dark venue at a gig is just a lost screw waiting to happen. It's a shame, because I love my DL-4, and with my old band now defunct, I was all set to explore all the possibilities of it. Now I'm a little shy of depending on it too much.

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

I'm now just a little wary of how easily this might happen again in future. Sure, it's a DIY fix, but it's a royal pain in the ass to take all those screws out, and doing it in a dark venue at a gig is just a lost screw waiting to happen. It's a shame, because I love my DL-4, and with my old band now defunct, I was all set to explore all the possibilities of it. Now I'm a little shy of depending on it too much.

I know what you mean, I owned one around a year ago and the switch died after about 2 weeks so I returned (before I knew it was an easy fix) I just picked this one up because it was $100, and I love the looper...it is great! plus my friend is going to sell me his DL4 when he gets a dd20, so I will have a back up....2 dl4s for $200 :idea:

Archived