Echo Czar and other "ultra-boutique" owners

• Members

How many people do we have here that own an Echo Czar (with Angel Baby?), Infinitiphase or one or more Lovepedals? What type of person owns stuff like this? Are you all like me (Guitar as a hobby, more or less and a career to finance the fun) or are you serious musicians that demand the best? I was wondering about that today as I was pondering the Echo Czar and Diamond Memory Lane.

• Members

I own some high-priced kit and am more or less a hobbyist who gigs occasionally... in my experience, it's people like me who have time to frequent these boards, read about fx, and accumulate obscure gear. I see plenty of "pros" who play through totally average stuff-- some sound great, some sound (tonally) terrible. But most pros need gear that is mass-produced enough to be readily available/easily repaired/road-worthy, and things like the EchoCzar/Lovetones don't really fit that bill.

• Members

I own an Infinitphase. But I bought one of the prototypes and it cost me less than half what they're going for new.

I own a Big Cheese and bought it before they closed up shop.

I'm a full time musician. and well, neither of these leave my house anymore but they have been gigged. Yeah, I used to have a real career.

• Members
Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I own an Infinitphase. But I bought one of the prototypes and it cost me less than half what they're going for new.

I own a Big Cheese and bought it before they closed up shop.

I'm a full time musician. and well, neither of these leave my house anymore but they have been gigged...

So what do you use as stand-ins for these two? The Fromunda is a great clone of the BC...

:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by itstartsstoppin

i think for the most part people on here do not make a living by playing the guitar(besides builders such as zvex & catalinbread) but i also think for most of us it is much much more than just a habit.

+1

I bought my Lovetone Meatball when I was in grade 11. I got high at lunch and surfed lovetone.com in design tech class with my buddy who is a bass player. We both took weekend jobs working at a mushroom plant in our area. It was hard labour but I quit as soon as I had enough for the Lovetone. He got a RingStinger, but stupidly sold it, even after I warned him not too. Soon after Lovetone stopped production.
:D

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

I see plenty of "pros" who play through totally average stuff-- some sound great, some sound (tonally) terrible. But most pros need gear that is mass-produced enough to be readily available/easily repaired/road-worthy, and things like the EchoCzar/Lovetones don't really fit that bill.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. All my guitar "heroes" if you will, use pretty standard run of the mill effects, be they Boss or older EHx/Ibanez/DOD. Do we really NEED these outrageous ultra-niche effects or are we doing it for the fun of it? (like some people restore cars or something)

Regardless, it seems I might be spending far too much on something that's completely unnecessary in the near future. ;)

• Members

Do we really NEED these outrageous ultra-niche effects

Of course not, but I'll put my Eternity up against ANY mass-produced OD on the market. I think the reality is that more builders are out there now and knowledge-sharing (via the web, especially) has created a Golden Age for effects. I'd love to hear Jimi play with a MuRF and a Boomerang...

And another factor to consider-- MOST guitarists aren't all that interesting or inventive and don't need much more than an OD pedal and some reverb. The Lovetones/Infinitphases are much better suited to tweakery, even of the bedroom variety-- but damn if Ed O'Brien doesn't make a Meatball sound Godly.

Archived