saw The Di Vinci Code Tonight

• Members
Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

it's fiction BASED on fact

Check out the book "Holy Blood Holy Grail".

I live in Massachusetts, and there's been a different priest on local news every single day talking about how the Di Vinci Code will fade away into obscure pop culture, as if this whole Jesus-Mary Magdelene thing hasn't been going on for the last 2,000 years...

due a google search on the Nag Hammadi Library

99.9% of Christians have no idea that Jesus wasn't even considered an earthly manifestation of God until a vote was taken at a council 300-400 years after his death.

The word 'messiah' had no mystical connotations at the time of Jesus' life - it simply meant 'king'. He, as a descendant of David, WAS in line for the Jewish leadership. And, since Rome was running the show at the time, they didn't want this young rebel upstart to get things organized... so they had him whacked.

Trust me - this is nothing new - the Church WAS the State, and so if you crossed the Church, you were committing treason to the King as well - good way to keep the peons in line, wouldn't you say?

There is some truth to ALL religions - it's the lies & oppression that the Catholic Church has engaged in for so long that has resulted in millions of deaths.

It's all about POWER.

Wow...where to even start?!

I'd have to politely disagree and say that most of your points are truths that have been spun and twisted until they are no longer truths.

:)

Take care,
Brian

• Members

Originally posted by canucker1981

Those interested in historical facts should read history books. Those interested in seeing a movie should go see The Di Vinci Code.

One problem in today's society is that many people take what they see on movies, TV, or the web as facts.

Even with more recent historical events that has been the case. Just consider Oliver Stone's JFK. It influenced public opinion while taking many liberties with historical facts. In many instances it is inaccurate, yet for most movie goers the movie presented "historical facts."

• Members
Originally posted by Kestral

There's an old saying about how the winners write (or re-writer) history. It's been done since the beginning of time. We'll know the truth when we finally invent time machines that can go back and see what really happened.

I'm sure 20 years from now the Republicans will re-write history and say that W Bush was one of the best Presidents of all time just like they're trying to do with Reagan (who really is one of the WORSE of all time after Nixon and W Bush).

yeah....right......:rolleyes:

• Members

Ok, Just got back from seeing it tonight.
I read the book along with several others (holy blood, angels and demons, and few others along the same line)
My girlfirend didn't read any.
I thought it was long, drawn out, and just OK.
She had the same opinion.
I found it actually to be a bit too boring at times. I did like the book, but there are some books that just dont make really good movies. I think it was pretty true to the book but think it could have been alot better if they would have "hollywood-ized" it like movies usually do.

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

One problem in today's society is that many people take what they see on movies, TV, or the web as facts.

Even with more recent historical events that has been the case. Just consider Oliver Stone's JFK. It influenced public opinion while taking many liberties with historical facts. In many instances it is inaccurate, yet for most movie goers the movie presented "historical facts."

I dont think that is really a problem exclusive to today. History is constantly being forgotten or re-written.

• Members
Originally posted by Verne Andru

Lies and conspiracy theories promulgated by a bunch of liberal tree-hugging democrats.
:idea:
Hey, maybe you're on to something here...

the revisionists are not interested in ideologies, or morals... they only want power. The second coming of clark kent is coming soon... the end times are near.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I dont think that is really a problem exclusive to today. History is constantly being forgotten or re-written.

That is true, but today the potential for massive manipulation is greater than at other times in history.

Many people don't have that 'historical consciousness.' In Iran, for example, apparently they want to make Jewish people wear yellow stars just like in Nazi Germany! Other minority groups will also have to wear something to identify them, if this proposal passes.

It is also true that in the past different institutions have influenced the masses, but these days with radio, TV, and other media, this influence seems to be in a larger scale, and it is often very subtle.

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

That is true, but today the potential for massive manipulation is greater than at other times in history.

Many people don't have that 'historical consciousness.' In Iran, for example, apparently they want to make Jewish people wear yellow stars just like in Nazi Germany! Other minority groups will also have to wear something to identify them, if this proposal passes.

It is also true that in the past different institutions have influenced the masses, but these days with radio, TV, and other media, this influence seems to be in a larger scale, and it is often very subtle.

wow... just had a moment of enlightenment there... i just realized you are manipulating me. NO YOU CANT HAVE ANY OF MY COOKIES.

Archived