Your gear philosophy?

• Members

I was talking to a mate of mine the other day trying to persuade him into selling me his tonepress (which he never uses). He couldn't cope with the idea of selling it even though, by his own admission, it just sits in his bedroom.

That got me thinking... how does your collection work? Is it a constant conveyor belt with stuff coming and going or are you a horder?

• Members

I couldn't vote ... I'm a bit of both. There are pedals I would NEVER part with and then there are those that I deem to be easily replaced and can come and go if I need them to like the DD20 or the RC20XL etc ... I'm a businessman for sure but I keep the good stuff too.

• Members

After trading a 50 watt JMP for a, then new, JCM 800, and trading my beloved '70 LP Custom for some rack gear, I do extensive soul searching before I sell anything. I'm even beginning to regret selling gear that was bought with money I got from other gear I regret selling.

• Members

I've been a hoarder up to this point. Once a few more puzzle pieces come in then, I'll AB the crap out of them. Once that testing is complete the collection may be thinned out.

Is there a 12 step program for this place? :cool:

• Members

I would, in an ideal world prefer to keep everything, cos I think that there will be a use for it. However I'm not as well off as I'd like to be, so stuff that is not being used as much as it should is sold.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I couldn't vote ... I'm a bit of both. There are pedals I would NEVER part with and then there are those that I deem to be easily replaced and can come and go if I need them to like the DD20 or the RC20XL etc ... I'm a businessman for sure but I keep the good stuff too.

+ 1

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

My philosophy is to buy the best pieces that will stand the test of time, so I usually end up with classic vintage gear.

My pedal collection hasn't changed in over a year now.

i agree with you. i buy and sell and buy and sell and every once in awhile a real keeper comes along.

i like to keep it simple so if something is very specialized or not versatile i try to avoid it.

• Members

I was definitely a bussiness man before. However, my rig has hit a point to where it's pretty static, and while there are a few pieces that don't get much use, there's no real point in selling them because I don't have that much gas right now.

Actually, I've been thinking of getting rid of a few pieces and have had a little gas, but I haven't resumed my business-like attitude, yet.

• Members

A bit of both. Until recently more in the hoarder camp. Thankfully, my girlfriend knows how much it will hurt if I sell something, so she persuades me to hang on to stuff.

I've come into some hard financial times and my home playing rig has consisted of Big Cheese>Infinitphase. Now, as if I couldn't get some big bucks for that gear right there but I HAVE to hang on to it.

• Members

I am mostly a hoarder. I used to regret selling stuff, so I hardly ever did. The last couple of years I have sold some stuff and so far haven't regretted it. I have been playing guitar a little over 20 years and still have 95% of everything I have ever bought.
Lately I have been thinking of selling off everything I don't use that is either easy to replace or that I only use once or twice a year.

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

If it's not being played, it's being sold.

I'm mostly in this camp but there can always be exceptions.

I'm definitely not a collector, and normally hate having things sitting around gathering dust, but if I like the effect/gear and there's a reasonable chance in the future I'll use it, I'll probably keep it.

• Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

My philosophy is I'm a musican. The gear is there to help me make music. If it does that it stays. If it can't, or can't do it as well as other thing I own, it goes.

Ditto apart from the musician bit. ;)

There are things I don't use often that stay, because they'll be hard to replace and do do useful things, and there are things I don't use often that I then sell on.

• Members

Well, let's put it this way, here's my list of guitar gear. What would you sell?

Analog Man Sun Face NKT 275
Boss FA-1
DOD 250 overdrive (vintage gray)
DOD 440 envelope filter (vintage red)
MXR Micro Amp (vintage no LED)
MXR Distortion II
MXR Phase 90 (vintage script 1974)
MXR Dyna Comp (vintage script 1973)
Ibanez AD-80 analog delay
Korg SDD-3000 digital delay
Digitech DHP33
Korg A2

I also have a DOD FX10 in dead mint condition (yes, with the battery cover) that I may sell but that's about it.

• Members

I have an EH Bassballs, an EH Tube Zipper, and an EH Qtron.

To 99.999999999% of the population, they all do the exact same thing

I have no money.

I can't bring myself to sell any one of them.

Apart from that, a few things come and go. I'm tempted to trade in my fuzz factory for a less insane fuzz, but I'm worried it'll be worth something when ZVex is taken away by the CIA.

Archived