Cleaning up the power to avoid hiss and background noise from my pedalboard?

• Members

I have been using a One Spot power supply for a couple years. Usually, I have no issues with hiss or noise, but in some places I do. In particular, my basement (I have no band at the moment) outlets are giving me some crappy volts and it makes my board hiss. It is pretty random. At first it will be silent. Then, if I click on the light for my DD-20 it will start to hiss. Then it will stop, but when the light goes off by itself it will start again. It really screws with my clean tones.

Anyhow, what is the cheapest, most portable thing that can be used before my one spot? Something I can plug my one spot into in order to filter the juice and clean up my volts.

• Members

A surge protector with a noise filter on it might help. You can get them at RadioShack for $10-15, and they fit on the end of the 1 spot. The more expensive ones have better noise filters, the Monster surge protectors are the best, but they cost close to $100.

J

• Members

I find i get a little hissing with DD-20 and 1 Spot. I can live with it now though. I have two 1 Spots and it sucks that newer one has a nice "heavier" duty chord than my older one. My older one is breaking at the connection. Very convenient though. I guess this didn't help at all. A surge protector eh/noise filter eh?

• Members

you need a pedal power

just because I THINK that the one spot is switch mode...which means that the switching currents may be causing noise. Getting a filtering device won't do anything I don't think

that and if you're doing a daisy chain thing, you'll start getting ground loops

I was really surprised to find out how {censored} wall warts are for pedals :(

• Members
Originally posted by Ray18

you need a pedal power

just because I THINK that the one spot is switch mode...which means that the switching currents may be causing noise. Getting a filtering device won't do anything I don't think

that and if you're doing a daisy chain thing, you'll start getting ground loops

I was really surprised to find out how {censored} wall warts are for pedals
:(

But the thing is, it works excellent in many situations. No noise or hum or anything. In my basement, however, it has issues.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

But the thing is, it works excellent in many situations. No noise or hum or anything. In my basement, however, it has issues.

maybe you've got {censored}ty wiring in your basement?

• Members

I am having similar issues and I have my rig plugged into a Furman Series II power conditioner. I think it is the grounding of this whole house. what's the best way to properlay ground the {censored} out of an outlet?

Archived