Noise issues with daisy chained pedals

• Members

Hey everyone.

I recently was powering my three measly pedals with a BOSS PSA adapter through the tuner pedal.

I run the power in to the BOSS TU-2 tuner, then daisy chained out to the GE-7 and DD-6 pedals.

I run them through my effects loop, but the tuner just between my guitar and amp.

I noticed I had an incredible amount of buzzing. The buzzing and hum would go away if I was only running one pedal at a time.

So I researched a bit on this board, and thought it was mA thing so I ordered myself a Godlyke adapter and daisy chain. I now run the daisy right off the adapter and into the ins of each pedal (not using the out of the tuner).

I still get the same problem. All 3 pedals are negative ground.

Any suggestions?

• Members

It's not an amperage problem - the Boss PSA has enough mA to power those three pedals easily. Most likely, it's a ground loop problem, and you may need to separate the power to the up-front pedal (TU-2) from the fx loop pedals (GE-7 and DD-6). Try moving the TU-2 to the loop (so all the pedals being powered from the PSA adapter ends up in the same location), and see if the hum clears up. If that helps, and you really, really want the tuner up front, you have to get a separate adapter/daisy chain for the GE-7/DD-6.

/Andreas

• Members

daisy chaining pedals in front of the amp with pedals in the efx loop always cause noise issues, you get ground loops and a lot of hum.

haveing different power supplies fort the loop and the front should solve your issues.

also what i encounted makes troubles is if you have positive grounded pedals (fuzzface, tonebender etc) and do a daisy chain with pedals in front of those with pedals after them you also get noise :(

this was the reason i bought a pedal power 2+ from voodoo labs, and all my noise issues were gone. but it's an expensive solution. for only 3 pedals take 2 power supplies

• Members

Wow thanks!! That was all really informative. I did tons of searches on here, and nobody that I noticed ever mentioned the part about using the same daisy chain for pedals in the loop and in the front. Thanks for that, I shall try it!!

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by t_e_l_e

daisy chaining pedals in front of the amp with pedals in the efx loop always cause noise issues, you get ground loops and a lot of hum......

can cause noise issues, and might get ground loops or hum.

i've been using a brick to power an entire board, including fx both in front and in the loop. no issues for 99% of the time i've been doing this (going on 3yrs).

i hope i didnt just jinx myself :(

Archived