OT: looking for firewire hd advice for my ibook

• Members

my ibook's hard drive is full.. i'm looking for something firewire with a good amount of storage since i have tons of music and some pretty large concert videos (600-900mb each, i just had to delete a bunch :( ) i've looked around a bit and there is so much out there i'm not really sure what's good for my budget ($200-$300) and how much space i really need :confused:

• Members

+1 on NOT getting a Lacie. overpriced crap.

get a bare drive and separate enclosure. 5 minutes with a screwdriver and you're done, you've got a drive with exactly the capacity you want and the brand you want, you have an enclosure with the interfaces you need that you like the looks of, and you've probably saved a few bucks.

check www.storagereview.com for drive mechanism reviews

• Members

I would recommend Other World Computing HDs. They are reasonably priced for the HD sizes and every unit has 1 firewire 400, 2 firewire 800 and 1 USB 2 port for maximum flexibity. The only downside is that they are somewhat large and require a power cord. But if you're looking for a stationary HD for home use then this is it.

jay

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

oh.. for my purposes what is the minimum hd size i should look into?

i wouldn't get anything under 200GB, unless you're getting it for backup purposes, in which case go smaller (if you have to) and get 2

• Members

i don't mind big and plug in.. it's just going to sit on a desk and back up files and store my music and videos. i just need something with a good amount of space that can quickly/easily transfer the files back to this ibook my wife and i share and eventually my macbook when i get around to buying one

• Members

ok. im about to out my nerd-ness.

i have a mac mini. there are 4 fw harddrives connected to it. it stores music, movies, torrents, and raw data. its basically a server.

i also have a power book. its my main comp.

for music, i use the itunes wireless sharing. that way, i dont need my book always connected to the hard-drives.

when i need files, cmd+K to mount the drives, wirelessly, and take what i need. granted, its not as fast as a fw 1 or 2 connection, but its the price you to not have wires.

this way, the laptop is always wireless, as well as having a decent amount of hard drive space, so it performs fairly well.

now to make the system better.....i have an airport express router/airtunes connected to my tv/stereo.

me and the boys can sit in the basement, listenin to music on the powerbook. the powerbook is sharing the music from the mini, across the house in the basement. instead of music comin out the powerbook speakers, i tell it to use the airport express, and bam, comes through the stereo, all wireless.

forumite iFishbulb thought out the design. it works great.
====

sooooo, if you do the fw hard drive route, a setup like this makes life much easier-- so you dont always have to be plugged in.

• Members
Originally posted by gregovertone

ok. im about to out my nerd-ness.

i have a mac mini. there are 4 fw harddrives connected to it. it stores music, movies, torrents, and raw data. its basically a server.

i also have a power book. its my main comp.

for music, i use the itunes wireless sharing. that way, i dont need my book always connected to the hard-drives.

when i need files, cmd+K to mount the drives, wirelessly, and take what i need. granted, its not as fast as a fw 1 or 2 connection, but its the price you to not have wires.

this way, the laptop is always wireless, as well as having a decent amount of hard drive space, so it performs fairly well.

now to make the system better.....i have an airport express router/airtunes connected to my tv/stereo.

me and the boys can sit in the basement, listenin to music on the powerbook. the powerbook is sharing the music from the mini, across the house in the basement. instead of music comin out the powerbook speakers, i tell it to use the airport express, and bam, comes through the stereo, all wireless.

forumite iFishbulb thought out the design. it works great.

====

sooooo, if you do the fw hard drive route, a setup like this makes life much easier-- so you dont always have to be plugged in.

holy {censored} :eek::cool:

• Members

+1 on the OWC enclosures, as i recall their link is http://www.macsales.com they make solid enclosures that you can get with or without a drive in them.

greg is also right, the more space, the better. you'll never have too much hd space, yet as you've found out, you can certainly have too little.

just a word of warning, a setup like greg's isn't w/o its own hassles every now and then, but nearly all of the time, it works, and it works wonderfully.

• Members

general rules of thumb...

2.5" enclosures are for laptop sized hd's
3.5" enclosures are for normal desktop sized hd's
5.25" enclosures will house 3.5" drives, but they are more generally for CD/DVD drives.

hope that helps

• Members
Originally posted by (((echo)))

man i really like the idea of using the mac mini for that stuff..

now how do i find out if i need 2.5 3.5 or 5.25"
:confused:

2.5 = laptop drive, and i think the internal drive on the mini is 2.5 as well
3.5 = normal drive
5.25 = ancient drive for old PCs

Archived