I gotta be honest, dudes...

• Members

My brother and I are watching a DVD of Primus live in Chicago, and here are my opinions about them:

Les Claypool is extremely talented, but he gets way too self indulgent and shows off alot with songs that are way too long and become sterile after a while. His lyrics and singing wear on me, because the music is good, and sadly the lyrics make it unlistenable sometimes.

Guitar player, seems good, but nothing really amazing to write home about, from watching the DVD.

Drummer, tight player, very solid, but I don't think he's very creative and has a gigantic kit for what exactly, his 37 splash cymbals? and most songs follow the same kinda tempo and beat with a lot of guitar and bass wanking.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.

• Members

Primus Sucks
You seem to have it down, though you don't seem to understand that they're not to be taken so seriously. They were a big part of my development as a bassist, but I can play that stuff and more now, and I don't have much of a reason to listen, since it's only something I listen to for fun listening to the instruments, not the songs so much. I don't know too many people who listen to them for the songs.

• Members

Les has gone way too studio nowadays with all that filter and reverse bass crap. You can't deny his skills on the earliest albums though. Also Tim Herb and Brain are both amazing drummers. Larry lalonde does his bit, and he's mental for fuzz pedals as far as I can remember.

• Members

If you like jam band bass stuff, you gotta check out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Way different than Primus (they play bluegrass funk as opposed to metal funk), but there's no doubting the talent. Victor Wooten is their bassist, and he does stuff I can't even comprehend.

J

• Members
Originally posted by 77inOctober

My brother and I are watching a DVD of Primus live in Chicago, and here are my opinions about them:

Les Claypool is extremely talented, but he gets way too self indulgent and shows off alot with songs that are way too long and become sterile after a while. His lyrics and singing wear on me, because the music is good, and sadly the lyrics make it unlistenable sometimes.

Guitar player, seems good, but nothing really amazing to write home about, from watching the DVD.

Drummer, tight player, very solid, but I don't think he's very creative and has a gigantic kit for what exactly, his 37 splash cymbals? and most songs follow the same kinda tempo and beat with a lot of guitar and bass wanking.

PRIMUS SUCKS

they are one of those bands that you either love or hate. Sometimes I love listening to them sometimes they give me a headache. Live....r@wk.

Not a subtle band ;)

• Members

you're all crazy... Primus Sucks

I don't give half a crap about the technical abilities of the players... but Primus is fantastic because they've managed to bring together their weird styles to create unique rock music. Sure they're a little wanky, but they write solid, UNIQUE songs that work with the album. They never show off their skills just becuase.

But the best thing about them is that they manage to balance themselves between really serious and really silly.. both in music and lyrics.

For their time they were an honest evolution of rock. True {censored}ing rock and roll, not like all the re-hash retro garbage we get now that's more about the style of 'rock' than doing something musically and stylistically interesting and progressive.

Just listen to DMV off Pork Soda.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

Primus might suck, but Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade's versions of
every
song from Floyd's
Animals
makes for a great recreation of a classic album.

This is true. Also the Primus EP Miscellaneous Debris, of cover songs by Peter Gabriel, XTC, and PF's Money. A great little album. Other than Suck on This (the live Frizzle Fry era) Primus doesn't get much play from me anymore, but was a teenage favorite for sure.

I'll go on record here as LOATHING Oysterhead. Trey Anastasio has clearly blown his brain out on seretonin re-uptake inhibiting substances. What a wanker. That band was such a waste of a killer rhythm section. I saw some awesome Phish shows in 95-96, but hearing tapes and knowing people from that scene it went quickly downhill for him creatively IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

Primus might suck, but Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade's versions of
every
song from Floyd's
Animals
makes for a great recreation of a classic album.

This is true. Also the Primus EP Miscellaneous Debris, of cover songs by Peter Gabriel, XTC, and PF's Have a Cigar. A great little album. Other than Suck on This (the live Frizzle Fry era) Primus doesn't get much play from me anymore, but was a teenage favorite for sure.

I'll go on record here as LOATHING Oysterhead. Trey Anastasio has clearly blown his brain out on seretonin re-uptake inhibiting substances. What a wanker. That band was such a waste of a killer rhythm section. I saw some awesome Phish shows in 95-96, but hearing tapes and knowing people from that scene it went quickly downhill for him creatively IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by 77inOctober

Pretty much all old school East Bay musicians have some form of ADD or another. That in part explains the 37 splash cymbals.

Archived