Anyone else digging Blue October?

Arjae

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Arjae, it is with great sadness that I write to say I have only heard the single, and it makes me want to rip my own ears out.

I do indeed hate it today, tomorrow, on a boat, with a goat, etc etc. Come back Staind, all is forgiven.

But maybe the rest of the album is good?

• Members
Originally posted by utterhack

Arjae, it is with great sadness that I write to say I have only heard the single, and it makes me want to rip my own ears out.

I do indeed hate it today, tomorrow, on a boat, with a goat, etc etc. Come back Staind, all is forgiven.

But maybe the rest of the album is good?

I think the whole album is really good. :)

• Members

EXHIBIT A
I'm sober now for 3 whole months, it's one accomplishment that you helped me with.
The one thing that always tore us apart is the one thing that I won't touch again.
In my sick way I want to thank you for holding my head up late at night
While I was busy waging wars on myself, you were trying to stop the fight
You never doubted my warped opinions on things like suicidal hate
You made me compliment myself when it was way too hard to take
So I'll drive so {censored}ing far away that I'll never cross your mind
And do whatever it takes in your heart to leave me behind

Self-absorption does not equal depth, dammit. Also, cliches ("my sick way," "my warped opinions") are still a no-no. Lazy!

But, y'know, plenty of songs have stupid lyrics and rule. Or have impossibly stupid lyrics and suck, but are kinda catchy (hi, Nickelback :wave: ). This one isn't catchy, because it does one of those Alanis-y things where "I'm going to throw the melody out the window because the lyrical content is really important" except that argh.

According to the Blue October myspace page, "Hate Me" is "a song that recalls such aching rock anthems as Joy Divisions Love Will Tear Us Apart or Janes Addictions Jane Says..."

No, it doesn't.

[/rant]

Very honestly, I'd be interested in someone explaining me what I'm missing here? Obv. a lot of people are really digging this.

(Arjae, I'm totally not trying to call you out here - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, but this has actually been on my mind. I was going to start an "Explain Me Blue October" thread but then found yours on search and figured better to give you a bump.)

• Members

It's all good man! :D

I guess I haven't really paid too close attention to what they were saying. Not that any of it offends me. There is so much {censored} out there today and most of it bores me. This album though has stuck out as an overall good product.

Archived