Muse vs Radiohead ...

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

No, shame on the music industry for the way that british bands are being marketed to dumb americans who remember that england used to actually put out good bands and desperately want that revived because music has been in such a lull for the last 10 or so years.

Just look at NME's thing that put the Arctic Monkeys in the top 5 "british records."

It has become assumed by many Americans that brits just have more musical talent, in both mainstream and alternative circles.

Music promoters know this, british alternative bands like Muse and Radiohead get money poured into them hoping to cash in on these notions, so they go into fancy pop studios and make highly produced, highly compressed, boring-ass sounding records.

Not that every band from England sucks, just that the ones that are getting indie and major label record deals do.

Radiohead's stuff is highly produced (but then again, so were great albums like Talking Heads' Remain in Light and all those other Eno productions), but not highly compressed -- they're very dynamic, in fact.

I don't think that the hype for Arctic Monkeys has anything to do with them being British -- it has everything to do with them putting out that Iggy Pop meets meets post punk/new wave garage rock sound. Remember The Strokes? Same exact hype for the same exact reason. That kind of thing is big right now.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some can of worms here Tiki.
You've chosen two bands that mean a lot to people. And make no mistake they are two great bands.
But for every opinion posed almost the exact opposite holds water too.

For what it's worth, Buckley gave Thom Yorke (he saw him in 94) the guts to sing flasetto. Matt Bellamy probably owes more to Freddie Mercury but he surely listened to Grace too. Early on (90s) Matt said 'the only two bands worth listening to were Nirvana and Radiohead. When people started comparing him to Rh, he stopped saying he even listened to them.

What I like about Muse is they add a bit of metal and prog and Queen-like pomp into what could be complaint-rock/whinge-rock or whatever. They're a huge band that could be much huger if they went down the soppy Coldplay, Travis, James Blunt ballad road. So points for that and some stellar musical skill.

Love both bands. Radiohead will undoubtedly be more important in the long term. But Bellamy is more talented than one person has the right to be. But he makes up for it by being extremly short.

• Members

Dunno where you're going with this "genuine article" thing, Tiki.

I recently listened to Grace for the first time in ages and it is a fantastic record but Rh have several records that make better listening and are more affecting.

Grace was better than I'd remembered it though and still a fave.

Jeff didn't reach anywhere near his potential. I have a theory that a lot of big artists peak in a window between 28 and 32. Muse's records are all worth something too but they're all still under Jeff's age and have the chance to still do a big important piece of work.

IMO, Rh and Muse are no less genuine than Jeff. They've actually been given the chance to bloom, so to speak.

From what I gather, Jeff was about as lost recording My Sweetheart the Drunk as Hendrix was doing whatever Cry of Love/New Rising Sun stuff he was working on at the time of his death. They seemed to be wandering unsure of where to go next and just had to work through the funk they were in.

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

Radiohead's stuff is highly produced (but then again, so were great albums like Talking Heads' Remain in Light and all those other Eno productions), but not highly compressed -- they're very dynamic, in fact.

OK Computer is one of the most compressed records out there. Sounds freakin' great.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Dunno where you're going with this "genuine article" thing, Tiki.

It's a matter of opinion Dan ... you know the score, nothing new there. I have very stroing opinions about all that - got my background to blame for it most likely but there ya have it. I felt the honesty of Buckley's work way more than I do Yorkes who seems like he's performing his pain - when he goes off stage it's back to happy smiling again ... it's an act --- with Buckley I believed his genuine plea.

• Members

Originally posted by Uma Floresta

I don't think that the hype for Arctic Monkeys has anything to do with them being British -- it has everything to do with them putting out that Iggy Pop meets meets post punk/new wave garage rock sound. Remember The Strokes? Same exact hype for the same exact reason. That kind of thing is big right now.

Eno's hi-fi has a certain aesthetic that OK Computer lacks.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

From what I gather, Jeff was about as lost recording My Sweetheart the Drunk as Hendrix was doing whatever Cry of Love/New Rising Sun stuff he was working on at the time of his death. They seemed to be wandering unsure of where to go next and just had to work through the funk they were in.

How the hell do you gather that? Sketches is great and was shaping up to be a great album, one much better than Grace. Sketches > anything by Radiohead. Sure "Your Flesh Is So Nice" doesn't fit. But who even knows that he was intending on putting that sort of stuff on that record?

• Members

I don't think they sound the same in any way. I'm not a real big Muse fan, i love the music, but i can't get into the vocals. I did like Radiohead alot in the Bends and OK computer days, but their newer stuff is a bit too experimental for my part, though some parts are really great! (pyramid song for instance, try nodding your head to that:) ) It's just the old "put 'm in a box" additude like with grunge (sorry i don't see the comparison between Nirvana and Soundgarden or Alice in chains) Nu-metal (Deftones-Linkin'park, Korn the same?(i don't love either for that matter)) etc.

• Members

Wow, lots of lumping together in this thread . . . yikes!! For what its worth, I don't think Radiohead and Muse sound anything alike anymore. Did Muse draw inspiration from Radiohead? Hell yes. Of course. However, everyone draws inspiration from somewhere and it takes bands a few albums to find their voice. And I'd say Muse has done that. Does anyone actually think that Absolution sounds like any Radiohead album? I sure don't. As has been stated earlier, that album has a much more classical/baroque feel mixed with the grandeur of Queen or something along those lines. I really don't hear any Radiohead in it at all. As for the whole Nirvana arguement . . . Even if Kurt Cobain stole a riff or two, he still wrote some of the best damn songs of the past 20 years and completely changed the popular music landscape and for that alone we should be thankfull. Basically you're just mad that Nirvana got huge where as their influences didn't. Why can't people accept that Kurt knew how to write great pop songs!? Oh and lastly, Kurt sounds NOTHING like Keith Morris. Not when he was in the Circle Jerks or when we was in Black Flag. I don't see any similarity in their voices at all.

• Members

I can see why people say they are similar bands, if you listen to early muse and the bends/ok computer you can hear similaritys between the two in muse taking radiohead as an influence (as one of many) and taking it from there
they are completely different bands though, I kinda view muse as one alternative way they could have gone after ok computer, but didnt, taking some of the basic ideas of radioheads plaging as an influence, then building on those and taking all manner of other influences and personal ideas and building it into something else

So two completely different bands, but with similaritys early on.

Both are stunnign bands two, though Radiohead are probably my preference out of the two. The Bends and Ok Computer are probably two of my favourate albums, though I can never decide between them) plus there is the post ok stuff - I was listening to the live album and hail to the theif today and they are almost a completely different band, and some stunning music, though I will happily admit I would have never listenened to somethign like that had it not been radiohead on the cover, but I am glad I did...

David

• Members
I felt the honesty of Buckley's work way more than I do Yorkes who seems like he's performing his pain - when he goes off stage it's back to happy smiling again ... it's an act --- with Buckley I believed his genuine plea.

How much do you charge per session, doc?

So insightful, it's almost like you know these people personally! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

How the hell do you gather that? Sketches is great and was shaping up to be a great album, one much better than Grace. Sketches > anything by Radiohead. Sure "Your Flesh Is So Nice" doesn't fit. But who even knows that he was intending on putting that sort of stuff on that record?

Easy. Lots of material that is good but not fully formed. Lack of cohesion and focus. Sessions occurring in various cities with no direction or the outcomes everyone was expecting (i.e. finished tracks everyone was happy with).

Sketches was named Sketches for a reason. It is not greater than Radiohead. It may have been, had it been finished and surely he would have gone on to som egreater things...

Sure it's all opinion. Sketches ARE sketches.

• Members

Yes, Muse is better (although Radiohead started the misery)

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I recall starting a big conflag in 2003 because I dared to say I didn't get Radiohead or like them after I bought an album ... I have heard many bands that sound allot like Radiohead since then but Muse seem to be almost travelling a parallel trajectory to them in some ways - a funny thing happened to me though when listening to Muse ... I really like Muse but don't dig Radiohead that much - even still.

Anybody else get that?

Archived