Muse vs Radiohead ...

• Members

Whew... lotta fodder for me to get riled up over here, but I'll just say this:

If you think Radiohead is "meh," go see them live. They're undisputably one of the best rock bands in the world, and sorry, as much as everyone would like to suggest otherwise, it ain't all that subjective. Not if you measure their worth by emotional energy and musicianship. The sound those five guys put out blows away what Pink Floyd was doing with three back-up guitarists, an army of keyboards and a trio of Gospel singers. It's rather scary, really. I have seen Radiohead in tiny clubs and in stadiums, and the force of what they do never changes. That's RARE.

Thom Yorke's lyrics may be "negative," but that's also what makes them meaningful and relevant-- they actually describe the world we live in rather than some gleaming pop version where everyone just wants to RAWK and get laid.

I mean, if you can walk around Beverly Hills and NOT think "Kicking screaming Gucci little piggy," then America's got you by the balls, my friend... :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are no absolutes, come on get real. I understand you must really like Radiohead and you have made some kind of connect with them but your assertian that they are the greatest for everybody is self delusional at best.

Personally I don't think Radio are a patch on Pink Floyd from any period. It's subjective ... yes it is. :wave:

• Members

I've always considered Radiohead & The Flaming Lips to be two sides of the same coin. I love both bands equally, probably the only album releases I would have to get the day they came out.

Belamy is Buckley inspired and Yorke certainly took on much of his style too, but for me Radiohead have so much more than Muse when it comes to songwriting.

• Members

Tiki--

Your LIKING Radiohead is subjective. I agree with that.

Their brilliance as a band is not-- I mean, not on any real scale. I don't hear you saying "Radiohead's a {censored}e band." Yeah? If you're saying that, then I'm baffled.

• Members

And re: Floyd, I don't mean to knock them-- they're probably the best band of all time, IMO-- but since Radiohead is so often compared to them I thought they were relevant to the debate.

However, please note I was talking about a specific era of Floyd-- like the DELICATE SOUND tour, which I consider bloated, creatively-challenged Floyd-- and was comparing their live shows. Radiohead can make more sound with five guys than any band I've ever seen-- even Floyd with their army of supplemental musicans.

(Vintage Floyd-- from Pompeii through the Animals tour-- were incredible. After that, they're barely even a band-- more like a traveling theatrical revival or something.)

• Members

Wow, never listened to muse before. They sure do like them 16th note keyboard arpeggios for every freakin' chord. Jeez, that really gets tacky. I could see this band being the evil twin of pablo honey era radiohead (strangely mixed with an '80s hair metal aesthetic), but nothing like what they've done in many years.

• Members
Originally posted by endo23

Whew... lotta fodder for me to get riled up over here, but I'll just say this:

If you think Radiohead is "meh," go see them live. They're undisputably one of the best rock bands in the world, and sorry, as much as everyone would like to suggest otherwise, it ain't all that subjective. Not if you measure their worth by emotional energy and musicianship. The sound those five guys put out blows away what Pink Floyd was doing with three back-up guitarists, an army of keyboards and a trio of Gospel singers. It's rather scary, really. I have seen Radiohead in tiny clubs and in stadiums, and the force of what they do never changes. That's RARE.

Thom Yorke's lyrics may be "negative," but that's also what makes them meaningful and relevant-- they actually describe the world we live in rather than some gleaming pop version where everyone just wants to RAWK and get laid.

I mean, if you can walk around Beverly Hills and NOT think "Kicking screaming Gucci little piggy," then America's got you by the balls, my friend...
:)

+1.

Muse are good but Radiohead are the most significant band since Nirvana.

• Members

Tiki--

Their brilliance as a band is not-- I mean, not on any real scale. I don't hear you saying "Radiohead's a {censored}e band." Yeah? If you're saying that, then I'm baffled.

My liking Radiohead and whether they are brilliant or not is also a matter of taste and subjective opinion - there are people in the world that don't like them at all - to them they are certainly not brill - to me either; the entire world of art is that way.

I'm not saying Radiohead are {censored}e certainly, I think they have good musicianship and a flare for invention but invention doesn't always yeild a good result or a pleasing result - again it must be left to those savouring the goods to decide ultimately for themselves what value is placed upon the fruits of that labour. Subjectivity is proven by the simple fact that you find them brill and I just don't.

• Members

Tiki--

My liking Radiohead and whether they are brilliant or not is also a matter of taste and subjective opinion - there are people in the world that don't like them at all - to them they are certainly not brill - to me either; the entire world of art is that way.

I'm not saying Radiohead are {censored}e certainly, I think they have good musicianship and a flare for invention but invention doesn't always yeild a good result or a pleasing result - again it must be left to those savouring the goods to decide ultimately for themselves what value is placed upon the fruits of that labour. Subjectivity is proven by the simple fact that you find them brill and I just don't.

• Members

Wow, never listened to muse before. They sure do like them 16th note keyboard arpeggios for every freakin' chord. Jeez, that really gets tacky. I could see this band being the evil twin of pablo honey era radiohead (strangely mixed with an '80s hair metal aesthetic), but nothing like what they've done in many years.

• Members

Tiki--

• Members

Tiki--

• Members

Tiki--

• Members

Yeah, and people say Nirvana was meh, too.

(People who never saw them live, generally...)

Seeing live or not makes no difference to the artistic worth of the band how they are perceived by others musicially - if you can't win a punter from your CD then there's not much left at the gig for them - not me anyway.

• Members
I think they have good musicianship and a flare for invention but invention doesn't always yeild a good result or a pleasing result

Well, we're just arguing semantics at this point-- I'm saying taste is subjective, but not the band's talent. Like, I don't dig Pantera, but I wouldn't argue that they aren't a tremendously talented group of musicians, because they obviously are.

Whatever, I think we've lost the thread so I'll just go ahead and say it: Muse blow! :D

• Members

Endo.

I agreed they are talented musicians but it's irrelevent to me valuing them musically - I just don't; no offence to anyone there but I'm entitled. I don't think Muse are that amazing either but that I think of two bands who sound very similar to me that I don't like a great deal - I prefer Muse personally.

That's all she wrote really. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Seems to be allot of Amazon reviewers that would disagree with that and I can hear the similarities myself actually.

amazon reviewers = the pinnacle of sophisticated music listeners?

But seriously, if you take away the similar singing style you have two completely different bands.

I love both bands. Muse's lyrics can border on generic sometimes, but they pull them off so well, you dont notice.

Radiohead lyrics would probably look stupid on a piece of paper, and are full of sarcasm.

I'm kind of shocked that you dont at least like ok computer.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

amazon reviewers = the pinnacle of sophisticated music listeners?

But seriously, if you take away the similar singing style you have two completely different bands.

I love both bands. Muse's lyrics can border on generic sometimes, but they pull them off so well, you dont notice.

Radiohead lyrics would probably look stupid on a piece of paper, and are full of sarcasm.

I'm kind of shocked that you dont at least like ok computer.

Like I said earlier - there are some Radiohead songs I love - the bulk being on OK Comp actually but that's where it ends for me. As to the Amzon reviewers comment, are you saying that Harmony Central reviewers represent the pinnacle of musical equipment reviews and are therefore better placed to judge bands than anybody else also? I'm amazed by that logic also - all you need to review something is an opinion anyway. Whether a reviewer is musically sophisticated or not is also a matter of subjectivity.

I have no great love for either band - I keep repeating myself here but no-one listens. I'm only saying I prefer Muse if I had to choose all round.

• Members

When Coldplay first came out they were compared to Radiohead a lot as well -- but I think Muse is closer. Coldplay sort of sounded like some Bends-era balladry, initially. Now they sound closer to U2.

Anyway, liking Muse more than Radiohead is kind of like liking Aerosmith more than The Rolling Stones, or Oasis more than The Beatles.

• Members
Originally posted by Uma Floresta

When Coldplay first came out they were compared to Radiohead a lot as well -- but I think Muse is closer. Coldplay sort of sounded like some Bends-era balladry, initially. Now they sound closer to U2.

Anyway, liking Muse more than Radiohead is kind of like liking Aerosmith more than The Rolling Stones, or Oasis more than The Beatles.

To me it's nothing of the kind ... I would certainly not put Aerosmith above the Stones nor any of those other bands the way around you have put them so you can somehow illustrate your own point over my preference ... that's like saying if you don't like who I say you should like then you have {censored} taste across the board.

I could have said people who like Radiohead have {censored} taste but I didn't because it's a stupid thing to say - what you just said was as well. This is getting beyond pointless. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I never liked Nirvana either ... Brian, where are you?
:D

whether you liked them or not, they were the most significant band of the last 20 years, at least in the states. So your opinion of them is, in a way, irrelivant concerning their significance. Then again, we already went over this. Like i told ya before, i got in to nirvana a few short months before they started getting play on mainstream radio.

When they started playing them on the top 40 station i was like what the F. Something to be said for right place, right time.

Archived