Muse vs Radiohead ...

• Members

I recall starting a big conflag in 2003 because I dared to say I didn't get Radiohead or like them after I bought an album ... I have heard many bands that sound allot like Radiohead since then but Muse seem to be almost travelling a parallel trajectory to them in some ways - a funny thing happened to me though when listening to Muse ... I really like Muse but don't dig Radiohead that much - even still.

Anybody else get that?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No.

Radiohead are much better than Muse in my opinion but really they are different bands and I like them both. Nothing Muse has done compares to either The Bends or OK Computer.

The biggest problem with Muse is their lyrics don't quite stand up to the music. Radiohead have always scored when it comes to lyrics, Thom Yorke is a genius.

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

No.

Radiohead are much better than Muse in my opinion but really they are different bands and I like them both. Nothing Muse has done compares to either The Bends or OK Computer.

The biggest problem with Muse is their lyrics don't quite stand up to the music. Radiohead have always scored when it comes to lyrics, Thom Yorke is a genius.

Yeah I just can't connect with Yorke at all or the band generally ... I prefer Muse way ahead, lyrically also actually - the TY is a genius thing is clearly subjective.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

they're not even similar...

Granted I'm only familiar with Absolution, but it sounds like outtakes from OK Computer to me. Or maybe not outtakes, but it's the album I wished they had made after OK Computer.

The Thom Yorke/Jeff Buckley vocals help this. Great album.

• Members

Radiohead has done too much different stuff to compare. It might be easier if you compare a CD and say that a certain Radiohead CD is similar yet worse than Muse. I doubt Muse compares to Kid A and Hail to the Theif. Those albums are crazy good, and not straight up rock (so much electronic). If you compare to the Bends, though, I might agree, as I wasn't much a fan, but then again I probably wouldn't listen to either too much. Give me Kid A and Hail to the Theif and I'm happy.

• Members

Radiohead has no competition. I love many current bands, but nothing compares to that level of creativity since Beatles/Zeppelin.

Kid A was the most experimental album to ever reach No. 1 in the U.S.

for that alone they should be praised.

• Members

Well it's a funny thing ... there are some Radiohead songs I love but I can't get through a whole set of songs and like all of them - Radiohead are totally hit and miss for me. Part of this sometimes is that I don't dig whining ... Buckley was ok most of the time but singers that constantly whine jar on my nerves.

Yorke does good whining ... but Bellamy tempers it a bit more and I find the music a bit more direct and less waffly.

• Members

Well it's a funny thing ... there are some Radiohead songs I love but I can't get through a whole set of songs and like all of them - Radiohead are totally hit and miss for me. Part of this sometimes is that I don't dig whining ... Buckley was ok most of the time but singers that constantly whine jar on my nerves.

Yorke does good whining ... but Bellamy tempers it a bit more and I find the music a bit more direct and less waffly.

• Members

Yesh, it should be said I wasn't trying to make it an either or type of thing ... the versus bit was more that I find similarities in the singing and some of the song writing and hell even some songs ... it was more an observation that with these guy's sounding so similar ( in my thinking ) that I like one more than the other - I like both in different ways obviously but overall I just don't go in for the Radiohead worship thing and never will.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

well you could equally say that radiohead are more subtle and muse are way more poppy. i prefer radiohead. muse are radiohead minus the experimentation and thats sort of the whole point of radiohead isnt it? its just a matter of opinion at the end of the day...

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

Both are hideously overrated.

Agreed ... I don't think either of them are amazing - just bands doing some different stuff with allot of whiny singing but having said that there are some songs I quite like.

• Members

Originally posted by percyexpat

well you could equally say that radiohead are more subtle and muse are way more poppy. i prefer radiohead. muse are radiohead minus the experimentation and thats sort of the whole point of radiohead isnt it? its just a matter of opinion at the end of the day...

It's all subjective for sure - I'm certainly not trying to convert anyone to my view or be converted to the view of others but I was curious to see if I was alone or not in my general sense of meh regarding Radiohead vs Muse ... I think they sound very similar but if forced to sit and listen I'd probably take Muse over RH for the reasons listed.

It's just personal taste.

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

I like both bands...and at first glance I can see the similarities, but they are really different. I actually enjoy muse's lyrics...but I agree they aren't as good as radiohead.

+ 1

• Members

I definitely enjoy both bands a great deal. I haven't paid attention to Muse's lyrics, but Radiohead's are a bit negative for my taste. Luckily the music is good enough that the lyrics are basically irrelevant to me.

• Members

i can't get into hail to the thief. it has it's moments, but as a whole i've always felt it a bit all over.

ok computer is by far my favorite radiohead album...i tend to think of that album as more "organic" compared to the albums that followed...i like organic.

Archived