DD-20 Power Supply Question

• Members

I just got a Boss DD-20 and I'm trying to run it off the power supply from my pedal board. Ya know, connect one end of the little cable to the pedal and the other end to the little inputs on the pedal board. Ok, bad description I know. Basically I'm not running it on an AC addaptor plugged into a wall . . . Anyway, whenever I have to plugged in to the pedal board power, it'll work for about a minute and then shut off. Its brand new. Runs just fine off batteries . . . Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

• Members

hmm.. i power the dd-20 and my other boss pedals (ds-1, bd-2 and sd-1) with the one spot.. and it seems that i get a nasty hum in the background (60 cycle hum??)

could it be due to the fact that the amp is connected to the same power point thus causing a ground loop?

• Members

Originally posted by January_Embers

Alright yeah, that would be the problem then. My pedal board puts out 100mA. Damn. Would a regular pedal addaptor work or is there a special one for the DD-20? Does anyone know how much power the DL-4 uses?

How does the 1 SPOT work with Line 6 modeling pedals? Don't they require AC and use 1200mA of current?

Well, it does say "9VAC 1200mA" on the back of the Line 6 pedals, but they don't really use that. That is simply the output rating of the POD adapter which the modeling pedals also use. If you think about it, the Line 6 pedals take batteries, don't they? Batteries are DC, not AC, so the pedals must really run on DC voltage. So how do they work with a 9VAC POD adapter? The modeling pedals have a bridge rectifier at the power input jack which immediately converts AC to DC where the adapter plugs in. And regarding the 1200mA of current the pedals are supposedly using, it's really more in the range of 350mA. That's still more than an average adapter can handle, but the 1 SPOT can handle two Line 6 pedals and have plenty of juice left over for several ordinary stomp boxes. Why Line 6 didn't come out with a separate adapter for the modeling pedals, I don't know, but the 1 SPOT makes an excellent alternative to the bulky single-purpose POD adapter.

http://www.visualsound.net/faq.htm#99

Archived