OK, kids. It's "help me pick an amp" time...

murch33

• Members

Finally got my tax return, and I'm jonesin' for something new to plug into. I want a tube combo, preferably 1x12, low wattage (under 30 watts), and must be pedal friendly. It also needs to be useable at home levels, as well as being giggable when turned up.

Now, before everyone starts jumping up and down and yelling "DRRI!!", let me just say that it's already at the top of my list. But what else is out there? I've considered the Vox AC15, but I've heard that it can be picky with dirt pedals. I am not interested in solid state or digital modelers. I'm mainly looking for nice cleans that I can drive with pedals, so single channel is fine.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I prefer 6L6 for cleans which limits the options. you say you want a great clean, so the amp that comes to mind is the fender deluxe. I would also check up the Deville. They have nice overdrives and take pedals well. I used to have a 2X12 and it was nice but they also have the 1X12 and it can be had cheapo on ebay. But I think it is more than 30 watts.

However nothing is really usable at both home and gigs unless there is a designated master volume. I think unless you go boutique all I can think for now is a low wattage fender which is prob not going to have a master volume.

I am not in the market for a new amp but if I was I would check out the prosonic. It is 1 vintage 30 with a clean channel voiced after a vibrolux reverb (I had an original and loved the cleans) and another fender classic model I cant remember now

• Members
Originally posted by beezdeez

What kind of budget?

I'm going to add that you can't go wrong with a DRRI.

If you plan on using pedals, the DRRI would be my last choice, the DRRI does not like pedals, I just got rid of one not too long ago for that reason :(

• Members
Originally posted by StratStevo

If you plan on using pedals, the DRRI would be my last choice, the DRRI does not like pedals, I just got rid of one not too long ago for that reason
:(

Really. I've played with my close buddies and I've had great envy of him since. It seemed to accept his pedals with arms outstretched. I actually thought it handled them better than my upgraded Traynor.

I'm curious as to what you didn't like about it though. Because I've been GASing for a DRRI for a long time.

• Members
Originally posted by beezdeez

Really. I've played with my close buddies and I've had great envy of him since. It seemed to accept his pedals with arms outstretched. I actually thought it handled them better than my upgraded Traynor.

I'm curious as to what you didn't like about it though. Because I've been GASing for a DRRI for a long time.

Your buddy's may have the cap clipped on the volume pot on the Bright channel that has reverb, or maybe you used the Normal channel that does like pedals better, but no reverb? Mine made all my dirt and fuzz pedals sound like crap.

• Members

I've been using my AC-15 almost exclusively lately, but that's partially because I have a drummer with an electronic kit in one band, and a drummer with a lighter touch in the other. If you play with a hard hitter, you can't compete without getting into headroom issues.

• Members

i second the dr. z. kind of $$$ but REALLY sweet. takes pedals like a dream, has enough clean headroom for most people and just sounds great overall. if not look for another one of his amps used. i play a mazerati and it's great. just a nice round warm sound. not really voxy or fendery, although you can hear both in the sound. cool amps! got mine for 1300 so if you check around it's not that much more than a ghia and is loud as hell but still sounds great in clubs. a maz jr 18 would be sweet too. love 'em!

• Members

If you plan on using pedals, the DRRI would be my last choice, the DRRI does not like pedals, I just got rid of one not too long ago for that reason
:(

That's interesting. Everything I've ever read about the DRRI has said the complete opposite, assuming you're using the normal channel. The vibrato channel is the one that doesn't like dirt pedals.

If I did go with the DRRI, I'd do the A/B trick to route my dirt pedals through the normal channel, and anything I use when playing clean through the vibrato channel.

As far as budget, I'd prefer to keep it in the 'grand and under' range. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

• Members
Originally posted by murch33

That's interesting. Everything I've ever read about the DRRI has said the complete opposite, assuming you're using the normal channel. The vibrato channel is the one that doesn't like dirt pedals.

If I did go with the DRRI, I'd do the A/B trick to route my dirt pedals through the normal channel, and anything I use when playing clean through the vibrato channel.

As far as budget, I'd prefer to keep it in the 'grand and under' range. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Your A/B idea would work, I like reverb and to have an amp named Deluxe Reverb and not be able to use reverb with my pedals, did not sit well with me :mad:

• Members

Your buddy's may have the cap clipped on the volume pot on the Bright channel that has reverb, or maybe you used the Normal channel that does like pedals better, but no reverb? Mine made all my dirt and fuzz pedals sound like crap.

His was completely stock. Brand new. I used the Vib channel but I didn't use any fuzz pedals. I used a Barber Direct Drive. Nothing heavy. Sounded pretty good to me.

I'm going to have to reinvestigate that. Damn, I'm glad you are keeping me on my toes. Thanks. :thu:

• Members

Don't know if reverb matters to you or not, but if it does STAY AWAY from the reissue (CC?) AC15's. The reverb is horrible. The AC30 is much more lush, and they have a 1x12 version that is available for under a grand (the 2x12 with stock speakers is usually priced around $999 US). I tried out both AC15s and AC30s when I was shopping for my last amp, they both like dirt pedals, but the AC30 had a much better reverb/tremolo, and with all that headroom you could easily use it for small venue gigs. Personally I prefer EL84 to 6L6/6V6 amps any day of the week, but that's just my preference. They sound warmer/fatter to my ear, and the Vox's in particular get a great clean chime going on.

• Members

If it makes a difference, here's my current pedalboard:

DSC00731.jpg

I'll eventually add a DL-4 and possibly a Morning Dew. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of A/B'ing the DRRI. I think it would go something like this:

Ch. A -> Zero -> Mayo -> DD-3 -> DL-4 (Input A) -> Normal channel
Ch. B -> Screwdriver -> Memory Lane -> DL-4 (Input B) -> Vibrato channel

Would that work with the DL-4? I'm not sure how it handles the stereo ins/outs when looping.

• Members

Dittos 4kenoath. Thanks for your post. I have a HRD, that I've switched out the speaker with a Vintage 30, and it is a very good amp. Clean channel is excellent, very pedal friendly, but the issue I've always had was the poor tone of the drive channels. I'm definitely checking out the mod you sited. For the money, I don't think you could beat doing what you suggest, i.e. second hand + mod.:thu:

Archived