Multitrack recorders..............

• Members

I've decided to bin the PC recording idea I had and I'm going to stick with a stand alone Multitrack recorder. Will try the PC one next time I upgrade my PC

I'm looking at the Zoom MRS802 and the Tascam DP01FX. Can anyone tell me if they have any experiences with them or can recommend another brand or model at about

• Members

I like the Roland/ Boss BR series. Very tuitive and easy-to-use functions. You got anywhere from 6 to 16 tracks of audio, plenty of ghost tracks, drum machine or rhythm guide and lots of other functions we have come to expect of Roland.

One advantage over the two contestants you mention is Roland's vast array of different products they produce; their legacy and compability between products of various kinds.

• Members

Originally posted by Alumitone

I like the Roland/ Boss BR series. Very tuitive and easy-to-use functions. You got anywhere from 6 to 16 tracks of audio, plenty of ghost tracks, drum machine or rhythm guide and lots of other functions we have come to expect of Roland.

One advantage over the two contestants you mention is Roland's vast array of different products they produce; their legacy and compability between products of various kinds.

Yeah....I use a BR 900 CD. Bloody brilliant. Quite easy to use once you get your head round it.

• Members

Honestly, if you look around, unless you just want an all-in-one, you can get separates for less money. I just got a pair of ADAT XT's, a BRC controller, and an 8-buss Fostex board for less than 500 bucks. I can cut 16 tracks at once for less than 500 bucks, now that's what I call a bargain. On the flip side, my rig takes up a lot more space than an all-in-one.

The all-in-one units are handy, for sure, although you give up some control for the convenience of having the stuff all in one box. Probably, though, the biggest thing to consider is how many tracks do you want to be able to record at once? Most of the all-in-ones will only do a couple tracks at a time in record mode, which means lots of overdubbing instead of simply cutting all your tracks live. Depending on your situation, however, this might not be a disadvantage for you.... for me it was, which is why I picked up the separates.

Make sure you look at Fostex, Tascam, and ZOOM stuff as well, as Roland certainly isn't the only company that makes all-in-one recording units.

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Hiller

Honestly, if you look around, unless you just want an all-in-one, you can get separates for less money. I just got a pair of ADAT XT's, a BRC controller, and an 8-buss Fostex board for less than 500 bucks.

I have a Tascam 2488, and I do slightly regret not picking up a pair of ADATs, the BRC, meter bridge and a cheapo Behringer 16-channel desk. I don't really have the room for all that though, and over here the ADAT kit has held value much better, it seems.

• Members

There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price here to old kit and brand new stuff. I've just sold a load of kit on ebay, and got nearly as much as I paid for it originally.

Space is a bit of an issue for me also, so I will probably just go down the all in one route..........but which one....... I've made some expensive mistakes buying kit over the last year, so really want to make sure I get the right thing first time

Archived