The Church--anyone know what gear those Australian japanese tourist harpooners use?

• Members

Don't know about that specific album but here's some of the gear that Marty Willson-Piper has favored over the years

Vox AC-30

JC-120

Rickenbackers - 6 & 12 string

Stratocaster

Jazzmaster

Ebow

EH Big Muff

Ibanez UE 405 multi effects unit

• Members

Originally posted by confused

Don't know about that specific album but here's some of the gear that Marty Willson-Piper has favored over the years

Vox AC-30

JC-120

Rickenbackers - 6 & 12 string

Stratocaster

Jazzmaster

Ebow

EH Big Muff

Ibanez UE 405 multi effects unit

Thanks. Mucho appreciatedo.

I'd be interested in knowing what Peter Coppes uses too.

• Members

Actually I'm buddies with John B who produced their first few albums back in the 80's - one of my fave bands of all time -

Peter Koppes has always played strats and goes through two big Leslie 144 cabs left and right stereo on stage.

Marty was always mr Rickenbacker and allot of AC30 as well as JC120 as has been said and some unusual 12 string electrics from time to time, pawnshop prize type stuff.

Oh an Taco, have a whale blubber burrito why dontcha.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Actually I'm buddies with John B who produced their first few albums back in the 80's - one of my fave bands of all time -

Peter Koppes has always played strats and goes through two big Leslie 144 cabs left and right stereo on stage.

Marty was always mr Rickenbacker and allot of AC30 as well as JC120 as has been said and some unusual 12 string electrics from time to time, pawnshop prize type stuff.

Oh an Taco, have a whale blubber burrito why dontcha.

:)

Thanks. I sure like the way Peter and Marty play together.

ps. May a wayward wallabee jism in your Fosters.

pps. I know people in Australia don't really drink Fosters. ;)

• Members

Marty owns a 60s Jazzmaster, 65 I think. Uses a dimension D (the little one with four buttons on top) for acoustic.

He doesn't have a drivers license and has a flat in London where he stores his record collection. That is the entire flat is just records in crates. Interesting man.

• Members

It's interesting, actually, how they have wised up and figured out a way to tour light...saves money, I'm sure. Back in the day, Marty was all Rics, (including a really cool. rare model with a violin-style F-hole) and used 2 AC30's live, along with that old Ibanez analog rack delay/chorus/comp...the UE-300? I think that was the model...Koppes was strats and a Jazzmaster, with an AC30, a JC120, and a huge Leslie, with a rack full of Quadraverbs and whatnot. But the last time I saw those rigs was in like '92 I think.

I saw them in a tiny club last year on the "Forget Yourself" tour, and Marty played a vintage Jazzmaster the whole show, through a little solid state amp and a 15w Orange...he had no pedalboard, just a few pedals velcroed to a piece of felt...I saw a Prunes and Custard, a Big Muff, a Boss Hyper-Fuzz, a weird-looking cheap-ass wah, and a DL4, but he still had the old analog rack unit. What is funny is how he still sounded like himself, even playing parts that were originally done on the Ric on the Jazzmaster.

Koppes had 2 pedalboards and a small rack with a couple of digital multi-effect units, and a MIDI pedalboard to call up his patches. I remember seeing a bunch of beat-up garden variety stuff, AD9, TS9, A Boss fuzz, etc. His amps were a 1x12 Boogie and a 1x12 Fender Silverface somethingorother. He switched guitars a lot more than Marty did, and oddly enough, he played the one Ric they had onstage more than Marty did. It was his old white strat mostly, but also a Tele and some weird baritone guitar, I don't know what it was. Marty played the Ric (a black 360) during the encore on "Tantalized", but other than that it was the Jazzmaster for electric guitar. He did use an acoustic 12 on "Milky Way" and a nylon-string on one song.

It was a very cool show. I was really impressed with the way they used small amps and let the sound reinforcement handle the volume. It was a very clean-sounding, articulate show, which is a must for a band with that level of subtley and nuance in their arrangements.

They went through a rough patch in the '90's, and sold a lot of their classic gear to collectors. I have a friend who has the bass Kilbey played through their classic 80's period(it's the one in the Milky Way video)...he said Kilbey sold it to him to pay for dental surgery or something. It is hanging on his wall...I just about have him convinced to let me record at least one track with it. Marty's famous Rics went on ebay a few years ago, before their current resurgence. I am told that the Jazzmaster he uses now used to belong to Koppes, but Marty started playing it so much that Pete finally gave it to him.

But beyond that, all I have to say is...

{censored} you, Taco! :mad: (shakes fist)

• Members

Originally posted by Corso2

It's interesting, actually, how they have wised up and figured out a way to tour light...saves money, I'm sure. Back in the day, Marty was all Rics, (including a really cool. rare model with a violin-style F-hole) and used 2 AC30's live, along with that old Ibanez analog rack delay/chorus/comp...the UE-300? I think that was the model...Koppes was strats and a Jazzmaster, with an AC30, a JC120, and a huge Leslie, with a rack full of Quadraverbs and whatnot. But the last time I saw those rigs was in like '92 I think.

I saw them in a tiny club last year on the "Forget Yourself" tour, and Marty played a vintage Jazzmaster the whole show, through a little solid state amp and a 15w Orange...he had no pedalboard, just a few pedals velcroed to a piece of felt...I saw a Prunes and Custard, a Big Muff, a Boss Hyper-Fuzz, a weird-looking cheap-ass wah, and a DL4, but he still had the old analog rack unit. What is funny is how he still sounded like himself, even playing parts that were originally done on the Ric on the Jazzmaster.

Koppes had 2 pedalboards and a small rack with a couple of digital multi-effect units, and a MIDI pedalboard to call up his patches. I remember seeing a bunch of beat-up garden variety stuff, AD9, TS9, A Boss fuzz, etc. His amps were a 1x12 Boogie and a 1x12 Fender Silverface somethingorother. He switched guitars a lot more than Marty did, and oddly enough, he played the one Ric they had onstage more than Marty did. It was his old white strat mostly, but also a Tele and some weird baritone guitar, I don't know what it was. Marty played the Ric (a black 360) during the encore on "Tantalized", but other than that it was the Jazzmaster for electric guitar. He did use an acoustic 12 on "Milky Way" and a nylon-string on one song.

It was a very cool show. I was really impressed with the way they used small amps and let the sound reinforcement handle the volume. It was a very clean-sounding, articulate show, which is a must for a band with that level of subtley and nuance in their arrangements.

They went through a rough patch in the '90's, and sold a lot of their classic gear to collectors. I have a friend who has the bass Kilbey played through their classic 80's period(it's the one in the Milky Way video)...he said Kilbey sold it to him to pay for dental surgery or something. It is hanging on his wall...I just about have him convinced to let me record at least one track with it. Marty's famous Rics went on ebay a few years ago, before their current resurgence. I am told that the Jazzmaster he uses now used to belong to Koppes, but Marty started playing it so much that Pete finally gave it to him.

But beyond that, all I have to say is...

{censored} you, Taco!
:mad:
(shakes fist)

Good to have you back, lady.

• Members

Originally posted by Corso2

You like ULTC? I haven't really gotten into it really yet. It sounds a little underproduced, but that could grow on me.

I haven't really been into the Church for quite a long time but a German travelling salesman who I used to be in a band with (Sultan the Ape) sent me the latest ULTC and I'm enjoying it so far. He also sent me the previous one "Forget Yourself?" but I never really got into that one...although I should probably give it another go.

taco

• Members

Yeah, see, I love that album...After Everything Now This is really good, too. They put out a CD with two 35 minute jams, as well, that was cool. They did an acoustic album which is nice, but I like them for the electric guitar stuff.

They have been doing some of their best work in the last few years.

• Members

Lost and Hotel Womb from Starfish have some of my favorite recorded guitar tones ever.

They were one of my favorite bands for abit, but Gold Afternoon Fix didn't quite do it for me.

I know they've had several albums since.

Where should I pick up from there? I've got the old stuff (pre GAF), plus the VHS video complilation, as well as one of Marty's solo's on CD, another on Tape as well as Peter's on tape.. I Just don't know if I should just go in order from where I left off or what. Anything to just skip?

Archived