Boss BF-2 vs Ibanez FL-9

erik92da

• Members

So ive been trying to get a slow sweeping sound that doesnt sound like a space ship out of my BF-2 and its just not happening. I like my phase 90 (r28 mod) and I want a flanger thats more subtle than the BF-2.

Its like I wish I could turn the 'res' knob lower than it goes cause it still sounds cheesy all the way off. I want something that sounds like a strong, slow chorus.

Is the Ibanez FL-9 for me??

Thanks,

Erik

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

FL9 does pretty subtle flanging. I like it.

+1

I never was a fan of flanger until someone gave an old beat up FL-9. I now have that plus a new reissue that is on my board.

Keep in mind I haven't tried alot of the boutique ones but I had the BF-2 and hated it. The Ibanez sounds very thick and warm. The subtlety is nice because I don't want to sound like a robot war all the time.

• Members

Originally posted by DonaldDemon

...The Ibanez sounds very thick and warm. ...

those are the two words i would never, ever, ever use to describe my (orig) FL-9.

flangers.jpg

the arion sfl-1 is what the fl-9 wishes it was, imho. similar tone but a bit thicker, and much more range of (useful) sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

those are the two words i would never, ever, ever use to describe my (orig) FL-9.

flangers.jpg

the arion sfl-1 is what the fl-9 wishes it was, imho. similar tone but a bit thicker, and much more range of (useful) sounds.

Have you messed with the internal trimpots? You can expand the range of sounds. Or if someone messed with it then it might sound crappy because they didn't know what they were doing. Like I said, I don't have much flanger experience but I really dig my FL9.

• Members

Originally posted by DonaldDemon

Have you messed with the internal trimpots? You can expand the range of sounds. Or if someone messed with it then it might sound crappy because they didn't know what they were doing. Like I said, I don't have much flanger experience but I really dig my FL9.

when i had a whack at it about a year back, the trimpots were as they had been when delivered from the factory, back in '83 iirc (the pedal, bought new, has been amongst a few friends ever since, nobody had tweaked it). didnt do much for the tone at all, just made it easier to get self-osc stuff.

although i dont really dig it overall, its not cuz i dont think it sounds good -- i dig the tone, just not the range of settings -- i just dont think 'thick' and 'warm' are at all words that i'd use for it. Sparkly, bright, thats how i'd describe it. :)

erik92da -- i've used it as a chorus before, it does well in that capacity

• Members

when i had a whack at it about a year back, the trimpots were as they had been when delivered from the factory, back in '83 iirc (the pedal, bought new, has been amongst a few friends ever since, nobody had tweaked it). didnt do much for the tone at all, just made it easier to get self-osc stuff.

although i dont really dig it overall, its not cuz i dont think it sounds good -- i dig the tone, just not the range of settings -- i just dont think 'thick' and 'warm' are at all words that i'd use for it. Sparkly, bright, thats how i'd describe it.
:)

erik92da -- i've used it as a chorus before, it does well in that capacity

Fair enough. I guess what I mean when I say warm is that the signal still sounds full when sweeping the spectrum, unlike the boss IMO. I will agree that it is a chorus-ey type of flange though.

I actually think the reissue I have sounds better than the 80's version I have. Maybe they used better components this time?

• Members

flangers.jpg

Wow, that Ross looks huge sitting next to the MXR. I'd assumed they'd be similar in size...

• Members

+1 for the fl9.

the BEST flanger i have ever heard.

smooth watery and just great sounding.

i use mine pre distortion though, i cant imagine using it post. tried it and it was just too much.

Archived