Just got back from X-men

Tag

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Apparantly Dougray Scott was considered for the role. I think Hugh does a good job, but I think Dougray, at least physically, would have been more true to the comic book history (Wolv is supposed to be like 5' 3" in the book, Hugh is what 6' 2"??).

Oh well i think he would look silly being a short guy lol even if it is true to the original :D

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Hugh is making the Wolverine stand along movie in Vancouver with his production company as we speak - or it's near completion I believe.

I'm an X reader since 1982 ... looking forward to the 3rd feature.

{censored}, now they're going to ruin it with spinoffs...

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

So does Hugh Jackman live up to the comic Wolverine? He didn't seem like the obvious choice for the first one.

He's only so-so imo. I haven't seen the 3rd one yet, but he didn't really pull me in as wolvy. I don't really think it's all his fault. He can only do so much with the script he is given, but in the comics, he had some of the most hilarious lines, and he doesn't really have too many of them in the movie. They got so many other things off with the adaptation, that it's not really that big of a deal. I have problems with how Magneto is portrayed as well. But atleast Jackman isn't totally unbelievable as a tough guy.

• Members

For me Jackman has always naiked the Wolverine part ... the only thing that's off is his height; like the real Logan is supposed to be about 5ft tall and that's all she wrote. Hugh is about 6'3.

As a long time fan I'm very happy with the entire X movie series and I have total faith that the Wolverine film will be awesome also - mark my words.

• Members

Well, I hate to naysay, but...

I saw it, and wooooooh, that was a bad film. Sorry, but it was seriously not good. No internal logic, no sensible pacing, too many characters, hideous dialogue, embarassing one-liners, cringe-worthy "emotional" close-ups, hyperkinetic fast-cut fighting, and Halle Berry is the most horrible actress ever to win an Oscar just for {censored}ing Billy Thornton. Seriously, I don't understand how she's still in movies.

Personally, I thought it was a total bomb. People were laughing at it. I mean, it was no Battlefield Earth, but it was still a stinker.

This is all IMO, of course - not a personal attack on anyone. Go see it if you want, but don't get your hopes up.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

For me Jackman has always naiked the Wolverine part ... the only thing that's off is his height; like the real Logan is supposed to be about 5ft tall and that's all she wrote. Hugh is about 6'3.

As a long time fan I'm very happy with the entire X movie series and I have total faith that the Wolverine film will be awesome also - mark my words.

I bought Jackman as Logan right off the bat with the way he played the bar scene at the beginning of the first movie. The guy's a damn good actor.

• Members
Originally posted by Kin Corn Karn

I bought Jackman as Logan right off the bat with the way he played the bar scene at the beginning of the first movie. The guy's a damn good actor.

Yep! I agree, the first 10 minutes of the movie i was sold on him, that was great him doing the cage fighting. You know he did it so well i didn't even reallize it was Hugh because i couldn't even imagine him as a badass back then :o

• Members

Personally i REALLY like the first x-men, part 2 was good but not great. I have a feeling part 3 will be similar "good" but not "great". IMO spiderman and batman begins are the best comic movies so far by a landslide.

And i actually really liked HULK, i guess it was just fun more than anything to watch this big huge badass get bigger and badder and smash everything and wooop ass :D

• Members

i have to agree with josh s. i just got back from seeing it and although it was entertaining for the most part it really dropped the ball with the series. the dialogue, pacing...basically everything josh said. i was cringing. it really is the equivalent of batman forever to the batman series. everything is more cartoony or comic bookish but not in the good way like spiderman. it wasnt the worst film ive ever seen or anything. its just dissapointing because i was pretty pleased with the other two films for the most part. but hey, a lot of people on here liked it maybe even loved it so it will appeal to a lot of people.

Tim

• Members

Well I don't think Batman Forever was supposed to line up with the original movies, and it was at least better than the last couple, but yeah, doesn't hold a candle to the Keaton/Burton ones.

I thought X3 was ok. It suffered from the same thing I thought the new Star Wars movies suffered from, which is their need to add more CGI heroes instead of sticking with the core cast that is more developed. It was certainly entertaining, but the second one was much better IMHO. Once again I think Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan carried it, but I think they tried to tie up WAY too many loose ends in one film, but still felt the need to leave a loophole at the end for more films.

• Members

youre thinking of batman begins. the new one. i was comparing x3 to batman forever with jim carrey and tommylee jones.
i thought batman begins was amazing. pretty much perfect for a comic to film adaptation.

i love your avatar and quote by the way. one of my favorite comedys.

Tim

• Members

i agree that this movie seriously stunk. the dialogue was some of the worst i've ever heard, and the delivery from almost every actor was even worse. i just felt like i was watching a bunch of bad actors pretending to be superheroes; they didnt "become" the characters at all.... and those one liners?!?! pathetic. i was incredibly bored until the final battle sequence to boot.

• Members

So for you guys that didn't like it: Did you guys like part 1 and 2? And how would you rate them do you like 1 better than 2?
Just trying to figure out if its something i would personally like. I only go to the movies every so often and only for serious
efx and action movies but it has to be great. Otherwise i'll wait for the DVD

• Members

i would say wait to rent. i liked the first one when it came out but watching it all the way through now is kinda hard. xmen 2 was better though. much more fullfilling in the comic geek way. better action and solid writing/dialogue. my problems with the xmen movie series as a whole is with the potrayal of the characters. some are so off from the comics and others come close. never really feeling like the comics though. although i think batman begins is the best comic book movie made so far, the spider-man film has characters that for the most part seem very true to the comic.

i heard mission impossible 3 is great. i liked one. hated 2 (john woo is horrible).
its directed by j.j. abrams, the director of lost so it cant be that bad.... go see it instead:D i wish i had....

Tim

• Members
Originally posted by Josh S

Well, I hate to naysay, but...

I saw it, and wooooooh, that was a bad film. Sorry, but it was seriously not good. No internal logic, no sensible pacing, too many characters, hideous dialogue, embarassing one-liners, cringe-worthy "emotional" close-ups, hyperkinetic fast-cut fighting, and Halle Berry is the most horrible actress ever to win an Oscar just for {censored}ing Billy Thornton. Seriously, I don't understand how she's still in movies.

Personally, I thought it was a total bomb. People were laughing at it. I mean, it was no Battlefield Earth, but it was still a stinker.

This is all IMO, of course - not a personal attack on anyone. Go see it if you want, but don't get your hopes up.

I thought the movie was kick@ss and liked it better than Batman Begins, even though I liked Batman Begins better than the previous Batman installments. Nobody was laughing in the full theater I saw the X-3 in. It was a great movie, but like you -- no personal attack; just my opinion. :)

Archived