can you recomend a good distortion for an AC-30?

fluff

• Members

hi guys, this is my first post on here so go easy on me. :)

I was wondering if anyone can recomend a good distortion pedal for a vox-ac30 played with a Gibson SG through a marshall powerbrake . I already have a Boss DS-2 which find to sound quit cheap and artificial. I do fancy the MXR distortion+ but ive heared mixed things about it. and is it true that it's actually an overdrive more than a distortion?

My budget is upto about 70 quid. (but im gonna try to buy second hand ) I like to play a wide range of music such as Oasis, U2, the foo-fighters. and im looking to get quite a rockin sound.

thanks! :thu:

• Members

in conjunction with your amp's built-in distortion(which is awesome - I LOVE Vox amps), these will cover most your needs:

badmonkeyF.jpg

http://www.music123.com/Digitech-Bad-Monkey-i134217.music

21775.jpg
(I usually keep the tone kinda low on the DS-1, 9-10 o'clock, as it can sound abit harsh, at least to my ears)

http://www.music123.com/Boss-DS1-Distortion-i21775.music

• Members

Really depends on how you set the amp and what level of overdrive/distortion you are looking for. Also the feel of the overdrive (loose and dynamic gain changes with pick attack, or tight, focused, and compressed).

For overdrives I like the Xotic AC Booster. It's focus on low mids compliments the AC30's upper mid emphasis. Has as much gain (more IMO) than a Tube Screamer but has a different voice (I don't think TS pedals mix well with AC30s). If you need more gain You might want to try the RC Booster of the Fulltone OCD. However, the OCD will favour the more dymanic player.

For endless compressed sustain nothing beats a Ge Fuzz. Specifically, the solo sound tonebender. A fulltone soul bender, MJM london fuzz, and the various clones all sound great through the AC30.

I play primarily single coils and you'll be pushing SG humbuckers...you'll see more gain.

Bb

• Members
Originally posted by fluff

hi guys, this is my first post on here so go easy on me.
:)

:mad:Shut the hell up, newbie!!!:mad:

Just kidding. I really want an AC30.:(

A Keeley Electronics modified blues driver has more gain than many think. I dunno the conversion rate, and you'd have to have it shipped over that bit of water, but I think you'd love it.

~MkF!
"I've got two fags & a three quid in me pocket!"

• Members

thanks for the responses guys, :)

I am looking for quite a heavy distortion. I use purly the ac-30's valves for all of my overdrive needs. But i want a distortion that will work well with the overdrive for those moments i have too break out into those sustained solos :D

I am looking at the ge fuzz and a couple of others .:thu:

• Members

hi guys, this is my first post on here so go easy on me.
:)

I was wondering if anyone can recomend a good distortion pedal for a vox-ac30 played with a Gibson SG through a marshall powerbrake . I already have a Boss DS-2 which find to sound quit cheap and artificial. I do fancy the MXR distortion+ but ive heared mixed things about it. and is it true that it's actually an overdrive more than a distortion?

My budget is upto about 70 quid. (but im gonna try to buy second hand ) I like to play a wide range of music such as Oasis, U2, the foo-fighters. and im looking to get quite a rockin sound.

thanks!
:thu:

For a Vox AC-30 et a Keeley Modded BD-2. It will go from clean boost to high gain and all points in between.

If you're looking to do the Oasis/Foo Fighters thing, it's a great pedal.

The BD-2, the Foxrox ZIM and Foxrox Captain Coconut 2 are pretty much the foundation of my tone. Check it out in my sig.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave M

Crowther Hotcake - more of an hot overdrive than distortion. But this will compliment a Gibson + Vox set up well.

1+ on the hotcake - that sucker loves el84s, it juces 'em right

• Members

When I used my bd-2 keeley with my orange (i know it's a diffrent amp but it's got el84's....) I found solo work got loss in the mix...I had a really hard time cutting through. I loved the pedal for chords but not lead...

just my 2 cents...

• Members

maybe not what your looking for, but Ive always thought big muffs sound great through ac-30's. I do it with mine. It is hard to pair a dist. pedal with an ac-30 though; they a strange midrange that doesnt match well with most. Have you thought of a treble booster?

• Members

Rat, obviously. Just look at Dave Grohl! in the first album he's got one in his hands in one of the pictures. It's probably the most shapable od/distortion I've tried at this point, or at least owned.

• Members

Originally posted by booher

Rat, obviously. Just look at Dave Grohl! in the first album he's got one in his hands in one of the pictures. It's probably the most shapable od/distortion I've tried at this point, or at least owned.

Yeah, but the vox was for clean. The rat went through a jcm-900.

• Members

I use an AC30 with a Les Paul Studio and a Godin LGX. My fav OD distortion pedals with it are my Proco Rat Deucetone, TS-9 Tube Screamer and an Zoom Tri Metal(set on a low gain setting)

Also I found my Dime Distortion worked well with it and a friends Dr Jeckyl.

Cheers

• Members

wow it seems the big muff is good with the ac30 then.

I was going to suggest a Skreddy Mayo.

But then I saw this was a "list every distortion pedal you've ever heard of" thread. So I went ahead and said Skreddy Mayo. It's just above this paragraph, if you'll look. See?

• Members
Originally posted by spoonie g

cough cough*
:p

i know, i know :D

Originally posted by hbar

I was going to suggest a Skreddy Mayo.

But then I saw this was a "list every distortion pedal you've ever heard of" thread. So I went ahead and said Skreddy Mayo. It's just above this paragraph, if you'll look. See?

im not quite sure what your trying to say there? But ive took yer recomendation on board, as with everone else. thanks for the input guys :thu: i am looking at every pedal that has been mentioned so far and reading reviews/ prices on them so thanks for youre help. the hotcake is looking good up to now! :)

Archived