Boost or Cut? Help with EQ

89strat

• Members

I'm using a GE-7 in the loop. I don't think I got the hang of it yet. Can someone give me some insight as to how to set this up for a lead boost that's not too mushy and that doesn't lose the highs. Is it better to boost what you want or cut what you don't?

• Members

boost the mids, the center one the most and the 2 on each side a little less.

see if you cut everything except your mids you will not get a boost for a solo in a live setting, all you will be doing is cutting the other frequencies. but boosting the mids will help you cut through better. usually you dont have to set the volume slider up at all, but alot of folks like to boost the mids just a tad and use the volume slider as well

but you should experemint, especially if you just wanna shape your amp to see what happens

• Members

Deductive equalization tends to be better. Everytime you boost a frequency you engage an amplifier (which can add noise), where as when you cut a frequency you are adding resistance. From what I understand, boosting frequency bands can cause phase differences between them. I always use deductive equalization and control the volume with the volume slider. But if it sounds good, it sounds good. Try a couple different things and see what sounds best for you.

• Members

Originally posted by KBN

Deductive equalization tends to be better. Everytime you boost a frequency you engage an amplifier (which can add noise), where as when you cut a frequency you are adding resistance.

Either way you're going through an op-amp. Cutting will tend to introduce less noise than boosting, but you'll likely end up adding that noise with the level control when you compensate.

Archived