Sonic Youths current tour....

• Members

Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

I'm seeing them twice in June.

I'll let ya know!

All i do know is that Jim isn't in the band anymore. I believe he left to study film.

thats a good thing....they were better without Jim.

• Members

Gotta say though, Murray St is not my bag ... I'm very curious to know what Ripped is going to be like cause that will likely be the bulk of the material for this tour from the new album. I'm hit and miss with SY albums ... some I love and others I'm meh but seeing them live is kind of a must as long as they don't play the Murray St set! Oh and Kim keeps her mouth shut allot more! :D

• Members

I got Rather Ripped on pre-release a few weeks ago...great album...sounds similar to the one before it, Sonic Nurse.

should be great shows...I've seen them 5 times, and they've always been great....looking forward to a London show soon :)

• Members

Originally posted by zhivago

I got Rather Ripped on pre-release a few weeks ago...great album...sounds similar to the one before it, Sonic Nurse.

should be great shows...I've seen them 5 times, and they've always been great....looking forward to a London show soon
:)

+1 The new album is really good.

• Members

Their current sound is very much in-line with Sonic Nurse and Murray Street-- e.g. sounds like long, fluid improv but when you see the songs performed live they don't deviate much from the rekkid.

Good stuff, IMO, seen a bunch of tours and really dig their current steelo. Do miss the 30-minute Diamond Seas of my youth, though.

• Members

Originally posted by zhivago

should be great shows...I've seen them 5 times, and they've always been great....looking forward to a London show soon
:)

Hasn't been released here yet so good to know - think it gets release this week or something. :)

• Members

Rather Ripped has leaked all over the place. I don't think it's officially released in the US either.

I'd compare it to Murry street only that it's mellower than older sonic. The longest song on Ripped is only about 6 minutes. They've kind of dropped the super long jams and stuck more to song writing. I think this album is one of the best things they've done in years. It's certainly one of the most mature albums they've done in a while. It seems that they've really captured the less noisey sonic sound they've been looking for while still staying creative.

• Members

Pavement bassist Mark Ibold is touring with them for whatever that is worth. I am kind of curious to see what Kim will be doing with Ibold playing bass (just singing and playing a little guitar I guess).

I need to stop listening to Daydream Nation so that I won't be disappointed when/if they play a lot of their newer stuff. I like parts of Sonic Nurse, but some of the recent albums put me to sleep.

Archived