How much does it cost to ship an electric guitar?

Gettie.

• Members

Well im kind of just looking for a general price for shipping them in the us, what i should expect to pay around. I have the stuff to do it and it would just be general shipping. Thanks for pointing that stuff out I posted before I thought through the question.

• Members

It depends on how you ship.

Fedex can run between 25-50, just for the shipping, plus insurance.

USPS will be 50-70

Fedex, I dont know, as I never use them.

I hardly ever use USPS also, because they have a 46" length limit on their packages, and it is hard to get a guitar in a box that length, with good packing.

John

• Members

Originally posted by LongJohnny

It depends on how you ship.

Fedex can run between 25-50, just for the shipping, plus insurance.

USPS will be 50-70

Fedex, I dont know, as I never use them.

I hardly ever use USPS also, because they have a 46" length limit on their packages, and it is hard to get a guitar in a box that length, with good packing.

John

I thought USPS had a 60" length limit on some of their services.

And since overseas shipping for USPS EMS (the 2nd most expensive option) is $75-90, are you sure that $50-70 is the quote for domestic services? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

I thought USPS had a 60" length limit on some of their services.

And since overseas shipping for USPS EMS (the 2nd most expensive option) is $75-90, are you sure that $50-70 is the quote for domestic services?
:confused:

i think he's talking about a guitar in the case, double boxed, etc.

get rates here:

http://www.usps.com/

http://fedex.com/

http://ups.com/

• Members

I've shipped a few guitars with Fedex and it's usually between $12 and $20, insurance included. Don't use UPS, they will destroy your property, then refuse to pay for it even if you've paid for insurance.

• Members

Originally posted by jb1911

I've shipped a few guitars with Fedex and it's usually between $12 and $20, insurance included. Don't use UPS, they will destroy your property, then refuse to pay for it even if you've paid for insurance.

I've heard many, many, many (thank you Cmd Lassiter) horror-stories about UPS. How come those guys are still in business? :confused:

(probably BECAUSE they never refund broken {censored}. But still, most people who used them once, would flee to their competition, no?)

• Members

UPS has a pretty solid policy of not paying insurance claims, as does Fedex. The only way to get the money out of them is to sue their pants off once, really good, and the rest of your insurance claims will go through very quickly.

I had an amp destroyed by Fedex, and it was double boxed, wrapped in bubble wrap, etc. They tried to deny my claim. I took them to small claims court, and the judge basically threw the book at them. Every claim I make now actually gets looked at. Also, if they cancel your account for taking them to court, you have a big lawsuit also. You pay for something, you are entitled to use that service.

John

• Members

I recently shipped a Les Paul in hardcase from west coast to east coast (literally about as far as you can go domestically) for $35 insured for $1600. The key here is:

Go to a music store and get a guitar shipping box they receive guitars in (they just break them down and recyle) and get as much packing material as you can. Most stores will gladly give all this to you as they just recylcle it.

When you pack it, you want NO MOVEMENT inside the box (this is key), so go overkill on the packing - the buyer/receiver will REALLY appreciate it as well.

When you go to ship it, if at all possible, take it DIRECTLY to FedEx (or whatever carrier you're using), DO NOT USE A REMAILER LIKE Kinkos or the UPS Store (or whatever MailBox Etc. is called now), they jack up the price and you'll pay almost 2x what you'll pay if you go direct.

Archived