Dano Surf and Turf Compressor ?

Remedy

• Members

YES YES YES/It was my first compressor and it made me realize I love compressors.It died on me after a year and I invested in a black finger but I still want a surfnturf because it actually doese some things better.It makes your guitar sound fatter and round and you can turn down your gain.fo sho

• Members

I just posted in another thread about the Surf & Turf. I love mine. I got it for $20 on eBay, but they're only about $30 brand new these days.

It's a very effective circuit. Basically, it's an Orange Squeezer clone, with the bias control moved from the inside to the front panel. FWIW, this is essentially the same circuit as the old Ross and MXR comps. No, it's not true bypass, but they actually use a very effective virtual bypass curcuit that looses very little tone.

I have a number of Dano pedals - some mini's, some full size, and a Fab OD. The only one that really hasn't appealed to me was the Pastrami. It's sounds kind of "sputtery", but that's because of the clipping diode (it uses an LED). It would actually smooth out a little with a different diode. Even with the stock LED, it's not too bad as long as you limit it to low-gain duty only.

• Members

oh, thats good news, coz I got one. Twas a bit of a slight, (inexpensive) impulse purchase - like I won the auction just to prove I could or something :confused:

Anyway, I wanted to try a comp so maybe a cheapie will be good to experiment with - the reviews were favourable so, yeah. cool

It cost me $30 USD, delivered but they retail(on ebay) for $50 USD here in Australia.

I'll see how it goes :)

BTW, Im hunting a delay next, have either of you guys tried the Dano PB and J delay? I'm contemplating that or just going straight to a boss dd20.

I only really want a little bit of effect, like delay instead of reverb type thing. But maybe the dd20 will show me some things about delay that are useful etc.

Any advice on the PBand J or whether to go straight to the boss and not experiment with a cheapie first?

• Members

Yeah, I have a PB&J, too. I like that a lot as well, but the dual footswitch configuration takes a little getting used to. You have to space it out on your pedalboard so you have room on either side to hit a single switch. Other than that, it sounds great.

Right now, my pedalboard is almost all Dano, except for my vintage Crybaby. I use the Surf & Turf, a Fab OD, the PB&J, and a Milkshake chorus. I have a non-Dano phaser on there now, but I'm probably goinf to replace it with a Fab flanger within the next few days.

I have a lot of pedals, not all are low end. I use the Danos because they sound decent and are inexpensive. I'm not hard on my gear, but I gig regularly. The Danos are cheap enough that if one dies, I'll just replace it. No big deal.

• Members
Originally posted by ProToneThinline

....Right now, my pedalboard is almost all Dano....I have a non-Dano phaser on there now, but I'm probably goinf to replace it with a Fab flanger within the next few days. I have a lot of pedals....

If you'd like to donate that non-Dano phaser to a starving college student, I'll gladly accept it.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulS

for the money the PB&J is a great little delay pedal, I agree with the two button thing but it does give you a slap back echo sound or full delay mode.

guys, I have the chance to get a used dd20 for about $150 or a new PBand J for about $50

what is your advice?

(prices converted from Aussie to american - everythings a bit more expensive here it seems)

• Members

I can't make your mind up for you but I had a Ibanez and a boss delay, they are now gone but the PB&J remains. It's all in what you want to afford. Minus's on the PB&J is the housing is plastic and the size could be a bit bigger, small knobs and hard to make on the fly adjustments. The DD20 might have some other useful features the dano hasn't you have to check it out. I have been considering rehousing the PBJ and using bigger control knobs.

Archived