tonebender and her clones

• Members

i'm still on a fuzzhunt and am wondering if the tonebender (and thus it's clones) are voiced to cut thru sufficiently, being that there are no tone knobs?

i've read good things about the mjm britbender and the DAM mkII and i'm thinking either would work for me...but obviously not if i can't hear myself.

how do these types of fuzzes compare tonally to a silicon fuzzface clone?

thanks.

• Members

The D*A*M is the only one to get. You won't find a better, more accurate clone. I've owned the Britbender and the Proanalog. Both great fuzzes, but not 100% on the mark like the D*A*M. A MKII is a bit less searing than a Si Fuzz Face. Less high end sizzle and more mids. There's less of that aggresive snarl and edge you get from Si fuzzes like a Muff or Si Fuzz Face. A bit smoother, but still high gain and aggressive. Really sings with a slightly overdriven amp. Endless sustain that way as well.

• Members
Originally posted by basscracker

i've got the D*A*M MKII with OC75's and a Lovepedal white dragon.the white dragon sounds 99.99% as good as the MKII at tonebendering but also does OD,FF,treble booster and then some.the .01% might have to do with how cool the D*A*M MKII looks.both are really good tonbenders.

What happened to the OC82 loaded MKII?

• Members

+1. I have a Hop Hed and it sounds as if it was voiced to cut through. Plus it has a tone knob (treble knob). I wouldn't dismiss it due to transistor snobbery (mine has AC128s in it) - use the money you save on something else. Listen to the Mark Bram clips Dean has on the site (www.cats-eyeesp.com - "more clips") - very honest and true to the tone of the pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

The D*A*M is the only one to get. You won't find a better, more accurate clone. I've owned the Britbender and the Proanalog. Both great fuzzes, but not 100% on the mark like the D*A*M. A MKII is a bit less searing than a Si Fuzz Face. Less high end sizzle and more mids. There's less of that aggresive snarl and edge you get from Si fuzzes like a Muff or Si Fuzz Face. A bit smoother, but still high gain and aggressive. Really sings with a slightly overdriven amp. Endless sustain that way as well.

cool, thanks. i asked about the silicon comparison b/c i'm also considering either a foxrox hot silicon or maybe a fuzzwork orange (been watching a lot of pink floyd lately)...but i haven't had too much time to really find out about the fuzzwork.

again tho, thanks this post helps.

• Members

Originally posted by basscracker

i've got the D*A*M MKII with OC75's and a Lovepedal white dragon.the white dragon sounds 99.99% as good as the MKII at tonebendering but also does OD,FF,treble booster and then some.the .01% might have to do with how cool the D*A*M MKII looks.both are really good tonbenders.

pretty cool clips, where was the gain set at?

....and thanks guys, i'll check out the hop hed when i get a second...

Archived