Great Clean Amps That Take Distortion Up the Rear

loofery

• Members

as usually I am posting about amps in here cause it is my favourite forum.

anyways, I want a good clean amp head with some decent headroom, that I can throw a distortion pedal in front of to make it scream. I mean like gary moore style. so, I don't really care for a second crunch channel - if i just need crunch I just play into my epi. also, I like fendery cleans.

i've considered a peavey classic xx - with a nice distortion pedal like the crunch box can I get plexi sounds from it? and does the peavey have decent clean headroom?

i've also actually thought about getting a solid state like a tech21 trademark

how are the old ampegs and music man heads with dirt pedals in front?

so recommend me a tube HEAD ! with a price cap of about 600 new or used

• Members

Ampeg V4. 100 watts of pure, earth-shattering power, clean as a whistle, and will generally run you about $400-500 depending on age and condition. Don't get one of the ones with a distortion circut, though.

I also really liked my old Fender Bassman 100 head. Some bitch about them because they changed the circut, but they're great loud, clean amps if you've got pedals. They don't overdrive like the black and early silverface models, but they're also much cheaper usually.

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

Ampeg V4. 100 watts of pure, earth-shattering power, clean as a whistle, and will generally run you about $400-500 depending on age and condition. Don't get one of the ones with a distortion circut, though.

I also really liked my old Fender Bassman 100 head. Some bitch about them because they changed the circut, but they're great loud, clean amps if you've got pedals. They don't overdrive like the black and early silverface models, but they're also much cheaper usually.

cool.

I want pretty much all dirt to come from pedals. I love stompin on them, what can I say?

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

This is good to hear seeing that I might be picking up a B25 and getting this beat up vt22 I found last week looked at today.

• Members

Originally posted by loofery

sorry, don't need another combo, only a head.

i thought high gain pedals weren't compatible with twins tho?

Sorry, didn't realize you needed a head. The Showman or Showman reverbs are really nice on pedals too (basically a twin in head form).

I've had great luck with high gain stuff into the twin, so the Showman should do the trick.

• Members

i would love a boogie or a hiwatt .. but what makes of theres are $600 or less. ok $800 or less?

Mesa 50 caliber+, maybe?

I had one once. It was actually quite nice. The clean channel had quite a bit of headroom and took pedals very well. The lead channel was a bit too much for me, but I set it's gain at about 2 and used it for sustaining leads. Sounded nice when boosted by an od pedal set on low gain.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Mesa 50 caliber+, maybe?

I had one once. It was actually quite nice. The clean channel had quite a bit of headroom and took pedals very well. The lead channel was a bit too much for me, but I set it's gain at about 2 and used it for sustaining leads. Sounded nice when boosted by an od pedal set on low gain.

taco

Oh yeah, it's got a built in 5 band eq which comes in handy. I wish I had kept it. I think it would sound great with some Celestion G12H30's in a 4x12 cab.

• Members

Well, I'm seeing that you're asking to a head, but try out an old 80's Fender 'The Twin'. LOADS of clean and loud.

The cool thing is, you could rehouse it in a head cabinet and use it as a head.

You can probably find them for around $300-500.

-Doc

• Members

..i thought high gain pedals weren't compatible with twins tho?

my old sf twin reverb was fussy with pedals, in that the amp's hifi-ness sometimes made a pedal a little too, um, pedally :rolleyes: however, one the right pedal(s) are found to go with a twin, the results can be monsterous.

another vote for the carvin x-100, or x-60. unstoppable clean channel. can be had for $300 all day long, and sonically worth 3x that. go for the older 6L6 version if you dont need a dirt channel.

• Members

They both sound good but If I had to choose just one it would be the DR. Z KT-45!!
It puts out more power than its rated for, has an EF86 Front End Tube, and can have a Solid State or Tube Rectifier!!
Go to Dr. Z's site and look on the Z-Forums and you can see all the other owners opinons and remarks.

Archived