I need new pickups

• Members

okay, phase one of Tokai Love Rock project is new pickups.

you guys know it's a Les Paul copy.

I haven't measured them or anything but the stock pickups are very hot and have alot of mids.

I want something more vintage sounding with lower output and a little scooped.

Any suggestions?

I'm also considering putting a humbucker sized P-90 in the neck so any help with that would be great!

I have heard alot of great stuff about Lollar Humbuckers. They're pricey though and I think Seymour Duncans would be most likely be just fine.

• Members

I love my Duncans, great value for the price. Sure you can spend double that and get some boutique pickups, but do you need them? (Do you need a Memory Lane or will a DD-3 do it?)

For vintage Duncans I'd go Alnico 2 Pro for creamier tones (Slash uses them) or Pearly Gates for a little more zing (Billy Gibbons). The 59 is a nice Alnico 5 pickup but some think it's too bassy. If you want to step up a level, Rio Grandes and Bare Knuckles look good... Both Duncan (Phat Cat) and Rio Grande make HB sized P90s that sound great on the clips...

• Members

inexpensive suggestion: GFS Dream 180's. these fit your description of "vintage sounding with lower output and a little scooped" pretty much exactly

expensive suggestion: WCR DarkBursts. these are a bit hotter than the GFS's, but still firmly in the 'vintage' tone camp. fantastic upper end detail with these, too.

• Members

Rio Grandes are awesome! Specifically the Texas/BBQ set.

They're not really scooped though. They have strong mids & lows with somewhat rolled off highs. Sounds fantastic in a Les Paul.

Also, they don't cost that much more than Duncans.

• Members
Originally posted by Vince

+1 on the bareknuckles (
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk
).

I have some in my tele, and they sound great. Send Tim an email detailing what you want, and he'll suggest the best for you.

+2 on the bareknuckles. I've heard them in a guitar at jam session and they are hands down the pickups I've ever heard/played on. I'm getting a set of Nailbombs pretty soon for my shred guitar. For what you wanted, I'd go with a Mule in the neck and a Black Dog in the bridge. They also make HB sized P-90's called the Mississippi Queen, I definitely recommend any of those.

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Duncan 59's, I would say. Originally I would have said Seth Lovers but you said scooped, and I think the 59's have less mids than the Seths.

taco

i'm thinking 59's also. I really want something without alot of mids.

Those bareknuckles sound cool but they are really expensive!!

• Members

Alot of people around this area are raving about these pickups.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8n7ad/amalfitanopickups/index.html

A Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a '59 at the bridge is supposed to be killer too.

I have these in my Heritage Blues Deluxe and they are awesome.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/4.html

Good Luck, there are some great pups out there.

:cool:

Archived