good distortion for clean solid state

danswon

• Members

Distortion and Fuzz generally sound better on solid state amps than they do on tube amps. The clean sound and the truly tubey distortions are where the problem lies. But I've never played a pedal that magically made your solid state amp sound like a tube amp, whether it was an Ibanez Tube Screamer or a Line 6 POD.

• Members

Any Tube Screamer style OD/Dist should sound pretty good - Ibanez originally designed the Tube Screamer for use with SS amps.

I'd look at a few of these:

Hermida Mosferatu
MI Audio Blue Boy
Keeley TS-9/808 Plus Mod

• Members

was just looking at the reviews for the Behringer VINTAGE TUBE OVERDRIVE TO800, on HC, it seems like an excellent cheap alternative to a tubescreamer, but im worried that might not have enough gain, cus basically, i know i'll be nowhere near his sound but i'm looking for something with the same gain and tonal ballpark as slash on the cheap

so do peeople think tubescreamer-type pedals have enough gain for that?

• Members

thanks for the advice but i only want one flavour of overdrive - banana! er not really, actually i just found what i think might be perfect for anyone trying to do what i'm doing on a budget:

behringer od100 (overdrive/dist) - it's only

• Members

In the non-boutique category, don't forget about the Boss OD-3...works great on my Roland JC.

If you have a Line In jack on the amp, the Behringer GDI21 gets some good sounds for cheap. Does not sound good plugged direct into the guitar input though.

Archived