So I tracked down another Breadwinner!

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Chatting to the original bass player for AC/DC today ( Mark ) who deals in the vintage guitars at one of my local Sydney music stores and was trying out the Daphon delay ... Mark asks me what my regular guitar is and I say " oh yeah, Ovation Breads or Deacons" ... "Your kidding?" he says ... "I just got off the phone to a guy who has one he's bringing in on consignment" ... Whoa! say's I ...

I already have two of these babies but have only ever seen one other in the flesh , other than the one's I own. The other one I could have bought in 95 but didn't have the cash on me at the time ... never felt such pain walking away from that opportunity as it was a black Breadwinner like this ---->

bblack.jpg

But to make up for that loss I kicked myself for all these years this guy has a powder blue Breadwinner - which I aim to buy come hell or high water which will add a third to my collection.

Here's what the blue looks like.

bskyblue.jpg

Forgive a collectors boyish excitment.
:o:cool:

What kind of tones do you get from these guitars?

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

nice one!
:thu:

i like the blue. that's a dark blue guard, right?

and i just noticed that Breadwinners have 24 frets!

...must resist GAS....

Yeah 24 frets and the neck access for slide and ebowing is awesome ... I get on other guitars to play the same parts and realize I'm like 6 tones lower than I would normally be for the same part of the neck!

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Yeah 24 frets and the neck access for slide and ebowing is awesome ... I get on other guitars to play the same parts and realize I'm like 6 tones lower than I would normally be for the same part of the neck!

me too!:)

my 1st 24-fretter was like this:

TS800.jpg

that convinced me that i need the 24 for fancy fret work. :o

i was thrilled when i saw the Guyatone remake that we discussed cuz it has the 24, bigsby, single coils, AND a cool 60's vibe! :):cool:

• Members

Originally posted by killmecomputer

Colin Newman from Wire plays a white Breadwinner in their on the box live performance.... They are cool looking guitars.

Got me a white one also - that was my first guitar I ever bought and my main axe for 17 years. My babies below ...

TikiOvations-Amp-SH-101-Wah.jpg

OVATIONDEACON.jpg

OVATIONBREAD.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

What kind of tones do you get from these guitars?

You can get single coil and humbucker tones as well as out of phase funky tones as the guitar has an onboard FET pre-amp and phase filtering etc etc etc ... it can nail all the sounds from most guitars and then do sounds that no guitar I ever heard can do ... 3 way pick up switching and 2 band notch filtering for out of phase - combine those with the 3 way PU selection and the active tone control and you have an incredible variety of sounds. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

me too!
:)

my 1st 24-fretter was like this:

TS800.jpg

that convinced me that i need the 24 for fancy fret work.
:o

i was thrilled when i saw the Guyatone remake that we discussed cuz it has the 24, bigsby, single coils, AND a cool 60's vibe!
:):cool:

Cool ... yeah if I think in getting this 3rd Breadwinner I may have filled my usual guitar quota ... I don't like having more than 4 guitars but for Ovations I make the exception - it may just mean I put the Guyatone on hold though.

• Members

Originally posted by threm

I had an Ovation Preacher but couldn`t get the preachin` going.

Maybe me more than the guitar .......

Ovationpreacher.jpg

"Ex The Alarm (Eddie Macdonald) Ovation Preacher 12 String"

http://www.thealarm.com/photocat.asp?cat=Eddie_MacDonald

Doesn`t look like a Preacher?
:confused:

ovation_12_big.jpg

Yeah whoever labelled that got confused because that's a 12 string Deacon. Shame about your Preacher though, I'd buy any Ovation Solid Body just about but the Preachers were a later and differently designed model than the Breads and Deacons.

• Members

Originally posted by tim gueguen

Thor Sound, mmmmmmm!

now there's a man who knows his matsumokus!

i kinda miss it but i gave up on HBs. the parallel switching did allow for some pretty nice SC sounds though. i still like stripes like that. :idea:

Archived