So I tracked down another Breadwinner!

• Members

Chatting to the original bass player for AC/DC today ( Mark ) who deals in the vintage guitars at one of my local Sydney music stores and was trying out the Daphon delay ... Mark asks me what my regular guitar is and I say " oh yeah, Ovation Breads or Deacons" ... "Your kidding?" he says ... "I just got off the phone to a guy who has one he's bringing in on consignment" ... Whoa! say's I ...

I already have two of these babies but have only ever seen one other in the flesh , other than the one's I own. The other one I could have bought in 95 but didn't have the cash on me at the time ... never felt such pain walking away from that opportunity as it was a black Breadwinner like this ---->

bblack.jpg

But to make up for that loss I kicked myself for all these years this guy has a powder blue Breadwinner - which I aim to buy come hell or high water which will add a third to my collection.

Here's what the blue looks like.

bskyblue.jpg

Forgive a collectors boyish excitment. :o:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

What's the Daphon delay like? $30 analogue....
:cool:

Hahaha ... yeah hilarious story to that, the sucker crapped out and would not even work! Heavy buggers though and make good paper weights when they eventually die on ya. ;)

I tried the red repeat by Carl Martin or something ... it NEARLY wanted to go into self oscillation and then didn't which sucked - an ok delay but nothing great.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Chatting to the original bass player for AC/DC today ( Mark ) who deals in the vintage guitars at one of my local Sydney music stores and was trying out the Daphon delay ... Mark asks me what my regular guitar is and I say " oh yeah, Ovation Breads or Deacons" ... "Your kidding?" he says ... "I just got off the phone to a guy who has one he's bringing in on consignment" ... Whoa! say's I ...

Admit it - you are really Bjorn Ulvaeus of ABBA.

Nice brush with greatness. I read Mark's Hello/Goodbye in Mojo Magazine re: AC/DC and he seems to have a very healthy perspective on the whole thing.

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

This has been bugging for a while...

...why is it called a Breadwinner?

Is it cause it's axe shaped?

Breadwinner = money earner in a household.

Apparently Ovation thought lots of pros would play the Breadwinner and earn some scratch with it.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

whats up with the pickups on the blue one? looks like there are bridge covers covers over the strings ?

There were two different pickup types for the Breawinner no-hum humbuckers - the type you see on the Blue B'winner is the later style and the type on my Bread and Deacon are the earlier standard silver brick kind. The later kind had a strange kind of half covered and half open configuration - they look pretty cool too.

• Members

Originally posted by desertlimosine

Wow.. this shape is awesome!

bltdb.jpg

Yeah me too ... those were the very last of the Ovation Deacons and were called the Ovation Deacon Limited. They were winding up production of the Bread/Deacons and decided to carve the top of the standard design to give a slightly different shape for the very final run of the guitar and so it became known as the limited - I would LOVVVVVEEEE to track a limited down for obvious reasons. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

Isn't there a pic of one of the members of The Cars posing with one on the back covers of the 'Candy-O' or 'Panorama' albums? Always thought those were cool looking guitars - congrats!

Not sure man ... that escaped me! I know Steve Marriot from Small Faces and Humble Pie was a user and endorsee, Glenn Campbell was a user and endorsee, Peter Tosh from the Wailers used one in the 70's with that band also but I never recall seeing Rock Ocasek or those guys with one .... any chance you could dig up a pic?

As to the guitars ... yeah I've been obsessed with them since I was 14 years old and saw Robert Smith playing them in the Banshees - they were actually the Banshees band guitars and they had whoever their guitarist was play them at that time - I was and still am a massive Banshees fan which got me wanting to nail their sound and the lifelong obsession with Ovation Solids began. I managed to buy my first Breadwinner 2 years later at age 16 spotted in a guitar shop at 2am walking home drunk with a friend. The white Bread I have has been my main guitar for 17 years. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

how much do these usually fetch?

It really varies ... most of the people who actually own them these days are collectors like me and know their value as beyond the market - Ovation solid owners LOVE their guitars. So it depends on who is selling them really. I got unbelievable deals on my two - got my Deacon Deluxe in 92 for about $900 AUD and the Breadwinner back in 1988 ( when nobody cared about these guitars ) for $450 AUD!

They are getting more high profile now though and are still quite rare - moving into the wider collectors market so you can get a deal if you buy from the right person. I wouldn't sell my Deacon for less than 2k and my Bread for less than $1800 just from a pure collectors standpoint.

Archived