Vintage MXR Dyna Comp or Boss CS-2

• Members

Originally posted by fourthave_cafe

Which one is the better buy?

For anyone who knows Sugizo, I'm trying to get that sweet sustain he gets in his solos.

Thanks
:thu:

They sound pretty similar (got a CS-2 and a pre-LED block logo Dynacomp), but the Dynacomp's slightly sweeter, but hisses WAY more, when boosting an overdrive/distortion.

• Members

If it makes any difference, The Edge abandoned his vintage dynacomp in favor of the CS-2.

It depends on what you want to do with it. The CS-2 has an attack control, which is handy for different types of pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

If it makes any difference, The Edge abandoned his vintage dynacomp in favor of the CS-2.

It depends on what you want to do with it. The CS-2 has an attack control, which is handy for different types of pickups.

Compared to the Ibanez CP9, they both lose some presence, which can be VERY helpful when playing Strats in bright amps.

They ADD low-mid punch fatness too.

• Members

I have a block Dyna Comp and the CS-2, never have played a script but they seem so expensive relative to the well made blocks which are really not all THAT rare. Play your cards right and you might be able to score them both for a hundred though it sure took me some time. Just for kicks, I have been using them both in my chain for about a month (as long as I owned the CS-2, Dyna Comp first in chain, while the CS-2 is last, as a limiter). Generally, I do not break strings that often, but with all this dang compression things have been different lately. David Gilmour used them both together, though I think for only a few songs during a specific Floyd tour.

My playing really is not that good, I hate mentioning it within the same paragraph as Gilmour. I think that the sustain on the units is equal, one obtains a bit more flexibility with the Boss (attack knob).

Finding an affordable CS-2 would be tougher than finding a bargain block Dyna Comp at this point....I suspect.

• Members

Originally posted by fourthave_cafe

If you could only have one of the two on your board, which one would you keep?

I had both and I kept the CS-2. It's sustains forever and sounds great, so much nicer to my ears. Someone mentioned Edge and Gilmour, and yes, I hear them both in this pedal. I recently got the tone press because of the blend feature and not surprinsingly, I dialed it in to sound the way I liked, with a little help from david barber, and it sounded like my cs-2. If you can afford it, find the tone press, otherwise, the cs-2 is a beautiful sounding pedal. I'd sell you my cs-2, but I'm still not sure I want to get rid of it yet, I play a strat and the sustain on the cs-2 is stronger than the tone press.

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

This may not be helpful, but i got rid of my CS-2, because even though it sounded good, it totally killed all high frequencies.

DOD-280 doesn't do that, and it has enough squish for me.

Hmm, it really sucks that I can't play either one. I found out that Sugizo, the guitarist in the video uses an old script Dyna Comp. Since thats the tone I want, might as well go for it.

Archived