recommend a drum machine

Guest Anonymous

I like software for sequencers. I don't have enough money for a Macintosh but for P.C. I use Fruity Loops. You can make your own samples and import your own wav files. You can also import other programs into fruity loops and use it as your master controller.

• Members

I went into a sam ash a couple of weeks ago(that was the first mistake) and was looking for some drum machine software. The guy handed me a $700 program and said this is the most realistic sounding software on the market. I spent about 20 minutes explaining to him that i dont want a realistic sound, and our band already has a drummer, and that i want effected beats and ambient stuff. He tried to say "well with the technology these days you can really only find stuff that will sound just like a real kit". At this point i turned and walked away.:evil:

• Members
Originally posted by itstartsstoppin

He tried to say "well with the technology these days you can really only find stuff that will sound just like a real kit". At this point i turned and walked away.
:evil:

Well the guy in the store was quite obviously a twit. With stuff like reason et al, the programme will trigger the samples you load. Insert a bunch of 8-bit samples and you will sound like an early digital drum machine or an 80s computer game. Load up 24 bit hypersamples and you will sound like a real kit. In between you can do whatever you want.

• Members

I use the Zoom RT-123... It works well with primitive beats, and the samples sound VERY realistic, which is surprising.

Unfortunately, the sequencer makes things difficult.

Fortunately, I find it easier to operate than Fruity Loops.

--

Is there anything better than Fruity Loops out there? Perhaps something that can do synth stuff too? Or are we getting to the midi keyboard territory at that point?

I just find that I can never get Fruityloops to do what I want. My Zoom does what I want, just within a very poor, slow, and frustrating sequence editor.

I've actually been curious about this stuff, myself...

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by itstartsstoppin

I went into a sam ash a couple of weeks ago(that was the first mistake) and was looking for some drum machine software. The guy handed me a $700 program and said this is the most realistic sounding software on the market. I spent about 20 minutes explaining to him that i dont want a realistic sound, and our band already has a drummer, and that i want effected beats and ambient stuff. He tried to say "well with the technology these days you can really only find stuff that will sound just like a real kit". At this point i turned and walked away.
:evil:

That dude sounds like a moron. If you want weird ambient stuff I would start by recording your own weird samples and messing with it in a .wav editor program, (I still use sound forge)save the wavs, open fruity loops, load the wavs and use the sequencer to organize when they appear.

And if you pay for fruity loops it's only around $100, I think.

I'm not into premade beats or paint by number projects. I like to start from scratch and fruity loops is flexible enough to let me do quite a bit. Main drawback is that it's for P.C. so if your stuff gets layered pretty thick the computer might stutter and screw up the rhythm.

• Members

I've tried a bunch of standalone drum machines for my homestudio. Owned the Boss DR-770 for a while, which was quite good, but lacked seperate outputs (for kick, snare and OH), so I traded it against a Roland R-8 MK II, which is arguably the best drummachine from the 90's.

Stereo outs + 8 individual mono outs, Human Feel, etc etc.

The only 'modern' affordable drummachine that came close, was the Zoom RT-323. 4 outputs, VERY realistic sounds, etc.

I'd definitely prefer the Zoom over the Boss, if you wanted quick realistic stuff to jam along with. Both have an option to program basslines too.:thu:

• Members
whoa. who are you?

your main axe is a tele, are you dj williams?

i'm DJ Farfignugen, a German trance artist who came to RVA for a tour of the historic Edgar Allen Poe Museum six years ago.
My love for the city was so great that I decided to stay another week. Then another month. I am still here.
DJ Farfignugen.
:wave:

--
p.s.
the drum machine i lust for is a MACHINEDRUM.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

Well the guy in the store was quite obviously a twit. With stuff like reason et al, the programme will trigger the samples you load. Insert a bunch of 8-bit samples and you will sound like an early digital drum machine or an 80s computer game. Load up 24 bit hypersamples and you will sound like a real kit. In between you can do whatever you want.

Indeed. Reason is a great piece of software, would get my recommendation. Along with Recycle too, for creating your own samples to manipulate.

• Members

Budgets make it hard to make a recommendation, but I have a DR-880 and really like the thing. It has great drum sounds and a useable bass section, as well as a guitar processor built in.

I've had more fun with it than any drum machine I've had (and I've owned several plus I have old Roland sequencing keyboard). I play one man band with it occasionally and it works really well if you have the footpedals (up to four non-latching) hooked up.

The biggest trouble I have with drum machines is not the machines themselves, but with other musicians who keep varying the tempo around and won't accept the drum machine as the 'master' for tempo.

Archived