The gf bought this today...

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Heh...a new speaker and tubes is probably mandatory. What are they, 8"?

Yes, it's an 8" speaker, but there's some indication that it might be a Weber, and general consensus that, as 8" speakers go, it's pretty decent.

My Valve Junior perked right up when I replaced the stock Sovtek tubes with Harma and Tung-Sol. Some of the mods I've seen do seem a little over the top but some, such as the DC filtering and the addition of an 8 ohm output seem pretty useful.

I WILL get around to modding it- I'd like to do some myself, but it's a matter of finding someone with a little more know-how to make sure I don't kill myself doing it.

• Members

Review? Sure...

Um... features? There's a knob and a switch. If the switch lights up it's on. The further you turn the knob, the louder it gets, unless the switch isn't lit, in which case it stays the same. Very quiet.

Sounds? Amps seem to have a "wake up" point on the volume control. Below there they sound muddy and bored. The VJ wakes up around 10 o'clock and stays chimey and relatively clean up to about 1 o'clock (I'm using all single coil guitars). After that it starts to get dirty until it's properly raging at 3 o'clock. Nothing much changes after that. With humbuckers, others have said that it won't stay properly clean at all, but I don't think this amp is designed for that anyway.

Tones are very middly, to the point that there might be too much "honk" for you. You might want to invest in a cheap EQ pedal if you like a little more shimmer. It works better with some guitars than others- my Strat sounds quite beefy, my Jazzmaster sounds boxy, but when paired with my Cornell Romany Plus, which is a boutique 1x12" Fender Champ "with benefits", the VJ adds a lot of the midrange meat that Fender-sounding amps don't have.

Some of the mods are things that will affect the overall tone- someone either here on HCFX or in the HC reviews mentioned adding a component to an empty slot on the PCB that improved overall tone, Euthymia has a mod to convert the input from the equivalent of a "low" sensitivity input to a "high", and wiring in an 8ohm output to allow a bigger speaker might increase bass response, which isn't exactly earth-shaking from a single 8", as you can imagine.

It's also loud as hell. Having no tone network to speak of means that it's too loud for any civilised bedroom at full pelt (past about halfway, actually), and it'll compete with bigger amps at rehearsals. That midrange-heavy tone, which on its own is a little rough on the ears (but in a good, "Tom Waits' voice" sort of way), translates to a lot of "poke" in a mix.

The build quality looks pretty solid, but the stock valves are very average Sovtek brand and need replacing as soon as you have the cash. The amp has much more clarity with better quality tubes.

One reliability issue: at a gig (and this only happened once) the VJ started squealing VERY loud, and could only be stopped by turning it off. When I turned the amp on again after 15-20 minutes, it was fine. The amp had been on without a break for quite some time without a break, so the resulting heat buildup may have been the cause.

• Members

I have the epi valve jr. in the head form....its a really dark amp, I put in a mullard 12at7 to clean it up some...but I may go to a 12au7 for even less gain. I don't have any el84s laying around so I haven't changed it out yet.

One thing to note is that it sounds significantly better after it has warmed up for about 30 minutes.

But I agree its not boutique killer (at least not without extensive mods). but it is a great buy and a fun little amp with decent tones. It will suit my practicing just fine :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

Review? Sure...

Thank you sir! :thu: I read these reviews and get that "sounds awesome, but probably could use a few mods to get it running at its best" feeling - then I realize it's less than most pedals out there. I'm sure it's going to be an excellent first amp for the gf. She was stuck on a Tele for the longest time but she's chasing a 335 now. We'll see... :cool:

I'll have to look into new tubes, too...probably do a swap first.

Archived